First time SLAM I guess

Aug 5, 2016
Wilmington/NC
Ok short back story. We survived Hurricane Mathew and I clean the pool out and left for work (Gone about a month). Wife was able to keep pool vacuumed and PH&FC in check. Well until about a week before I came home. Pumped sucked air and trying to explain how to prime the pump over the phone with a new little one in the back ground was out of the question. Told her to just unplug everything and I would get to it when I got home, what could go wrong right. HA got myself on that one. Well I got back and needless to say there was a think green layer of algae on the bottom and FC was 0. Here's where I shot myself in the foot. I'm still using the stock manual vacuum head that came with the pool. The water was crystal clear when I started (everything had settled to the bottom while I was gone) but after I was done stirring everything up vacuuming and getting the little amount of leaves out I'd say I effectively stirred up and broke up what was on the bottom and diluted it in the water, ending up with a green pool. Brought the pool back up to my normal FC-8 and let it ride for a few days. Vacuumed and brushed everyday with about a 5FC drop in 24hrs. Water temp is around 56-60. Well that wasn't working so I brought the FC up to 15 and continued on vacuuming and brushing. Seemed to be working and then just kind of leveled of and stayed about the same. So today I went and got more bleach to hit it hard. Pool math said FC28 for shock and 38 for mustard. I'm now at 41 little high due to a heavy hand but has held for the last 4 hrs at that. How long will it take before I see a real difference? I want to say it's working but that may be me being antsy.

Thanks in advance

Pics for reference. Before and now. Thought I had pics of it really dark green and cloudy but I guess not

4cb642a83ba8051b49784d564fcad50d.jpg
ef10392128ca7d08d1d6b4a04ae084fa.jpg
43208c5005a660090dd06f0c067a6e97.jpg
8192b64dc960ca82980bf23eff0abb5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome :wave: We are glad you found us!

Keep testing the FC and as soon as it dips below the shock level, dose it back up to the shock level. At least once a day take a picture of the stairs, just like the last one. As it clears you will be able to see the difference from one pic to the next.

Keep testing every few hours and dosing back up to shock, until the pool is totally clear.

Here is the link to read for the details: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You really need to keep the filter clean and running 24 hours a day. It should not hurt the pump to run continuous, especially in the cool fall weather. You have a lot of dead and dying algae in your water and it all must be filtered out, the less you run the pump the longer it will take. The pump is also needed to keep the high FC levels mixed in and dispersed throughout the pool.

You must get the FC up to SLAM level, continuously maintain it there, and keep the pump running. Letting the FC drop even for a short time can set back your SLAM. With the cold water temps you should be able to get this done fairly quickly, it would be very difficult in hot weather with an under powered pump and small filter.

Brush the walls and floor often and test every hour or so until you get a feel for how quickly the chlorine level falls. When your testing shows a reduction add more bleach to get the level back up. Backwash your filter as needed to maintain a good strong flow. You can still see the bottom it should clean up easily.

As pabeader says, we love pics from the stairs, but the ladder you have is notorious for harboring algae. I suggest you take the ladder out now. Maybe you can use a different reference like your brush in the pool instead.

What is your CYA? Just want to double check that shock level of 28. Btw, don't do mustard shock level now. It will just fade your liner.

Also, would you add your testkit to your signature? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing: I would vacuum SLOWLY first and then brush. Otherwise you just stir thing up more.

Get as many of those leaves up as you can. This should be an easy SLAM as it is not a swamp.....more like pea soup :rolleyes: LOL

You are on the right track. Maintain the FC, brush often, watch filter=clear pool.

The pics will really help you see the change as it happens. Your eyes will not see it day to day.

Kim:kim:

As pabeader says, we love pics from the stairs, but the ladder you have is notorious for harboring algae. I suggest you take the ladder out now. Maybe you can use a different reference like your brush in the pool instead.

What is your CYA? Just want to double check that shock level of 28. Btw, don't do mustard shock level now. It will just fade your liner.

Also, would you add your testkit to your signature? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing: I would vacuum SLOWLY first and then brush. Otherwise you just stir thing up more.

Yep planned on pulling the ladder out tomorrow. Just trying to get the water chemistry right before I close it up. Vacuuming is a very slow ordeal lol, that's the order I've been going in. Vac then brush. Cya was 70 yesterday. Didn't check it today. I guess tap to talk doesn't do my sig. I'll get in the lap top later. Test kit is the TF100 from here.

Just ran the numbers again and it dropped 2. Down to FC of 39 now. I'll let it run and recheck everything in the AM

Ok. I added the test kit to my sig. All this time I never caught that. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get as many of those leaves up as you can. This should be an easy SLAM as it is not a swamp.....more like pea soup :rolleyes: LOL

You are on the right track. Maintain the FC, brush often, watch filter=clear pool.

The pics will really help you see the change as it happens. Your eyes will not see it day to day.

Kim:kim:

Oh the leaves have been out for over a week now. Back washed pretty good yesterday. Pump is good. Pea soup yeah that's about right lol

Yeah I'm hoping I can pull it slowly and bring along what ever is on in out with it. Just ran FC. Was 36. Been around 14hrs and has dropped 5. Going to let it drop to a non mustard shock level and keep there

Sounds good. Had planned on it today but by the time I got back home I was only able to vac and brush. Getting better tho. Tomorrow is the day.
af870f181ba79a037ec6d0f76c43bca1.jpg
38d8d7c905e7344a5b91d058762d8d7f.jpg
a966813df424ff3ef72f18634203392b.jpg

Pics before I vacuumed and brushed. To dark for a post vac/brush pic.

Yesterday vs today tho
4befe96b2240bc2485d4f4712e78f24d.jpg
db81c611c754023cff9910dbc319f81c.jpg

Did notice a dip in FC by this afternoon tho. Was down to 30. Shot from the hip and added 16oz of 8.25. Probably way to much but day light was fading fast. I'll check again here late night for a comparison for a AM reading.

Love the progress! Remember you will need to choose a new reference point for your pics as that ladder needs to stay out.

I would love for you to replace it with a different ladder as it is really hard to get that particular model algae free once it hits, but that's another story...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.