First time replacing filter - does brand matter (much)?

ABC12

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
First time replacing my filter. The one in there is a Unicel C-8412. When I search online to purchase a new one, I see other cheaper brands. The unicel one goes for about $70. Is this normal/good price? Pleatco seems to be almost half.

There's nothing wrong with Pleatco filters. I have a Unicel and a Pleatco that I swap out, and it seems to me that the Pleatco may be a little finer than the Unicel. They're both about 3 years old and both are holding up fine.

There's nothing wrong with Pleatco filters. I have a Unicel and a Pleatco that I swap out, and it seems to me that the Pleatco may be a little finer than the Unicel. They're both about 3 years old and both are holding up fine.

There you go, OP! That's why I love this site. Real world experience trumps all else.

In general though I stand by my "don't skimp". Tried to do my pool (1st year in house with the pool) on the cheap last year...paid for it dearly. Now I am willing to spend whatever it takes on the right methods. Liquid chlorine is more expensive....but well worth the extra cost!

There you go, OP! That's why I love this site. Real world experience trumps all else.

In general though I stand by my "don't skimp". Tried to do my pool (1st year in house with the pool) on the cheap last year...paid for it dearly. Now I am willing to spend whatever it takes on the right methods. Liquid chlorine is more expensive....but well worth the extra cost!

I completely agree, but I know in life there are some things that you need good quality items and it's worth every penny and some places you can save a couple bucks with similar outcomes.

I was told to replace the filters about every 1-2 years. I try to rinse them with a hose about every 3-4 months. How do you know when a replacement is needed?

I once bought an off brand new cartridge filter from Amazon as mine had a hole. My water was clear, but not TFP clear so I went back to the Pleatco from the pool store and I got back to TFP clear in no time.

Some things it is better to go cheap on (like solar covers) but I think you take your chances with this. Not sure if there are good/accurate specs that you can confirm how small it filters before buying?

It has probably been 3 years or so since I last replaced the cartridge but my season is not nearly as long as yours. I don't know when you would need to replace outside of the obvious such as the aforementioned hole.

I like Pleatco but don't trust amazon for the right one..I got the worng one and intheswim told me " too bad, you can pay return shipping" but amazon stepped in and told UPS we decline shipment..
What made me mad was I ordered them at 11pm and when double checked realized it was wrong and cancelled the order..Those bozo's shipped anyway.
lesson learned check on pleatco's website to verify number :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.