First Time Pool Owner

Jmw224

May 7, 2023
Virginia
We had our pool opened (by a professional) two days ago.

Tested the water today with Color Q Pro Kit, and below are the results. We would appreciate any tips! Also any tips on what kind of chlorine to use for a salt water pool. I'm starting to read the website but would appreciate any and all pointers!

FC 0.78
tCL 0.82
pH 7.3
Alk Lo
CH Lo
CYA Lo

A saltwater pools is a chlorine pool, but you almost never have to add chlorine as that is the job of your Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG).

If you follow the TFP pool care process, you also never have to add pool store 'Shock' to your pool on routine basis.

Without CYA and with your very low FC, you about 30 microseconds away from an algae outbreak.

You should take a good read through our Pool School.

Thanks,

Jim R,

Welcome to TFP! Yes, for sure, realize the a salt water pool is a chlorine pool. You need to get some chlorine into your pool, stat. Add 5 ppm free chlorine as fast as you can. Your salt water chlorine generator can maintain the chlorine level. It is really hard for the SWG to raise FC to an acceptable level.

I've been reading the pool basics website, but am confused about how to best increase the chlorine and CYA together. I can either add some household bleach which I have on hand today or wait until tomorrow after I've gone to a pool store/Lowe's.

Depends on current levels how much and how fast you need to add them. You can add both at the same time. Close to no FC? Get in at least 5ppm with bleach. You can get granular just cya as opposed to the pucks from Walmart.
Got test results?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.