First time pool owner

Jabby

Jul 17, 2021
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all! I have been stalking the site for a few days and figured I need to jump in.

Wife and I moved into a house with an in-ground pool that is approx 25K - 30K gallons. I have not been able to do an average depth measurement on the pool. I bought a K-2006 test kit before reading the site recommendations for 2006C. So far I have only increased the TA with pool store recommendation and last night I poured in 4 gallons of Liquid Chlorine 10% because the water was turning into a swamp.

Here are some tests from this morning.
CYA - 0 (pretty sure because the solution was not a bit cloudy)
PH - 8.0 (its been raining throughout the last week)
TA - 140
CH - 120
FC - ? (did not perform since there is still algae in the pool this morning but not as bad as last night)

I have been reading about SLAM and OCLT. What do you all recommend? I was thinking I should raise the CYA levels, check my pH levels after CYA before I start SLAM.

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I would recommend the following first:
1. Lower the pH to about 7.2
2. Increase the FC to 10 using liquid chlorine. Retest in 10 minutes with good circulation. If it fell below 5, add again and retest in 10 min. Do this until you are sure the FC is starting to hold between 5-10.
3. Once the FC is holding, then increate the CYA via the sock method for a CYA goal of 30. At the same time, increase the FC to 12 which will be your new SLAM FC level. Maintain that as best as you can until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!

Reactions: Jabby
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I would recommend the following first:
1. Lower the pH to about 7.2
2. Increase the FC to 10 using liquid chlorine. Retest in 10 minutes with good circulation. If it fell below 5, add again and retest in 10 min. Do this until you are sure the FC is starting to hold between 5-10.
3. Once the FC is holding, then increate the CYA via the sock method for a CYA goal of 30. At the same time, increase the FC to 12 which will be your new SLAM FC level. Maintain that as best as you can until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!
Thank you, Texas! Does it matter when I put Muriatic acid to lower pH?

Does it matter when I put Muriatic acid to lower pH?
Do that first before increasing the FC level. Once you lower the pH, you won't need to test it again until after the SLAM Process is complete.

Today, I got the pH down to 7.4 and added some more Muriatic tonight to hopefully get it down to 7.2.

FC did come in at 1.4 when I was doing some tests. My gameplan is test the pH in the morning to see if I got it there then proceed to step 2 when the sun goes down tomorrow night.

Thanks again, Texas!

Use 10ml of water for the FC test and one heaping scoop of powder. Then each drop is 0.5ppm FC. This is precise enough and will save your reagents. If you got the K-2006 and not the K-2006C, order more FAS/DPD reagents now. You’ll need them for the SLAM.

I got the ball rolling on the SLAM and keeping FC around 12. The CC tests have been coming out .5 with 10 ml testing.

I do daily brushing but there is still bit of muck at the bottom. Should I switch from brushing to vacuuming?

The pool is looking great. I passed CC test and OCLT test which I am currently maintaining the FC levels around 5. Also, working on getting my TA levels since it’s at 130.

I still have some biofilm at the bottom of the deep end. I vacuum/brush it which disappears but shows back up in the morning and getting a little smaller.

Am I on the right path to get rid of it?

Thank you!

I still have some biofilm at the bottom of the deep end. I vacuum/brush it which disappears but shows back up in the morning and getting a little smaller.

Am I on the right path to get rid of it?
Full speed ahead and SLAM until there is no visible algae, clear water and pass the OCLT. If any of the 3 fail, It’s a fail.

You greatly have the upper hand now, so there is that. Foot on throat. Finish it. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.