First time pool owner

Richie.C

May 7, 2019
Toms River, NJ
Ok so here it goes. Bought the house in October and the pool was closed already. Opened it on Monday and it was not that bad. Tested the water and my TA was 70. Ph was 7.3. FAC was 0 and TAC was 0. Was told to throw in 13lbs of baking soda and let it level off then I threw in 4 bags of shock. (About 30k gallons is my pool). Today I vacuumed up what I could and will have to hit it again when the rest settles. Also brushed the sides. Have 4 tabs of chlorine in the feeder. Does it sound like I’m doing everything right so far? Any and all help/criticisms are welcome. I want a crystal clear pool.

Attachments

• 905BFF60-A1AC-4136-AB04-C1F54AAD979B.jpeg
    905BFF60-A1AC-4136-AB04-C1F54AAD979B.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 8
Does it sound like I’m doing everything right so far?
I'm afraid not Richie. :hammer: But hey .... welcome to TFP! :wave: That's what you're here for right? Okay, so let's get you going in the right direction as follows:
- Stay out of the pool store. Their testing is inaccurate, advice often flawed, and prices rediculous. Do your own home testing. It's easy. Use a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. See Test Kits Compared
- Stop adding anything else to the water for now except about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach. Not Clorox brand, and no scented or splashless products.
- Update your signature (see mine below) so we know what you have there.
- Start at our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry page, then read/save those Vital Links below in my sig. Those will help keep you straight.

The proper test kit makes all the difference. I would also recommend the magnetic speed stir from TFTESTKits.net as well. Makes a huge difference. Let us know if you have any questions about anything referenced above. Lots of folks here like to help.

Reactions: splashpad
Green gives us a good estimation you have algae, unless the green is from iron off of a well. Since your FC is low, I'm going with algae. Remember algae enters the water not because the pH or TA is off, but because the CYA and FC are not balanced together as seen on the FC/CYA Levels. Once you have algae, you need to perform a SLAM Process. The instructions on that page, coupled with the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, will allow you to validate the CYA and increase the FC to the levels noted on that chart.

Can you update your signature please and include the test kit you are using?

but will be ordering the Taylor K2005 tomorrow
Keep in mind the 2005 does not have the FAS/DPD portion. See FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test

So if you chose to get the 2005, make sure to get the other. Personally, if you're set on the Taylor kit, make it the K-2006C. It has everything, and the "C" provides the larger reagent bottles which you will need.

TFTestkits.net has everything.

Just took a peek at the TF-100 and that might be a better option for me then the K2006.
Absolutely! :goodjob: That's what I got in 2013 and have used nothing else since. It's packed with a ton of stuff. Very good buy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.