First time pool owner

I'm not an expert on pumps but let me ask a few questions.

Does it make a humming/buzzing noise when the power is on?

When you checked the impeller were you able to turn it by hand? Did it feel smooth or tight and or grinding.

The grinding sounds like a bearing, this shouldn't have anything to do with the filter or the deep cleaning of it.

I'm not an expert on pumps but let me ask a few questions.

Does it make a humming/buzzing noise when the power is on?

When you checked the impeller were you able to turn it by hand? Did it feel smooth or tight and or grinding.

The grinding sounds like a bearing, this shouldn't have anything to do with the filter or the deep cleaning of it.
It worked great all day with no unusal noise until we tried to backwash. I would say it was more of a buzzing noise then turned off. My husband stuck his fingers in the hole towards the impeller and it was free of debris. He said he didn't spin it though. I thought he had. Wouldn't it do the same on filteration if the impeller was clogged

If there is something physically jammed in the impeller or the bearing has completely seized up that will stop it from turning. If this is the case whatever is causing it to stick needs to be removed/fixed.

If it spins free by hand and just hums a little this could be a capacitor.

I don't know about this motor but some have a "thermal"
On them which once gets hot enough will shut the motor off until cool again.

The position of your filter valve doesn't make a difference.

And please make sure the power is off before sticking your hand down near the impeller [emoji6]

Just to clarify, you are turning the pump off before switching your multiport to backwash, correct? Never turn the multiport handle on the filter when the pump is on...

Should be power off - turn to backwash - power on for backwash - power off - turn to rinse - power on for rinse - power off - turn to filter - power on.

;-)

Just to clarify, you are turning the pump off before switching your multiport to backwash, correct? Never turn the multiport handle on the filter when the pump is on...

Should be power off - turn to backwash - power on for backwash - power off - turn to rinse - power on for rinse - power off - turn to filter - power on.

;-)
Yes, we turn it off each time. It just doesn't make since that it only happens when I try to backwash.

The pump shouldn't be affected by the filter position in any way...

There must be some sort of blockage in the filter that causes the pump to heat up and switch off. Does rinse work? If not it's potentially in the waste pipe. I'd take the waste pipe off if it has unions, then quickly turn on to backwash and see if water comes spraying out where the pipe was.

Edit: are you sure the valve is fully seated in backwash? Something there could be broken and closing the valve entirely when you're in backwash.

The pump shouldn't be affected by the filter position in any way...

There must be some sort of blockage in the filter that causes the pump to heat up and switch off. Does rinse work? If not it's potentially in the waste pipe. I'd take the waste pipe off if it has unions, then quickly turn on to backwash and see if water comes spraying out where the pipe was.

Edit: are you sure the valve is fully seated in backwash? Something there could be broken and closing the valve entirely when you're in backwash.
I will turn it to rinse first tomorrow and see if it happens again. We did remove the waste line and it sprays out fine for a couple seconds then shuts off. Last year when we were first dealing with the pool we wouldn't turn it off each time then we learned from the pool place the importance of shutting it off between each turn on the multi port valve. [emoji30] it had crossed my mind that maybe something inside the valve is not working correctly now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will turn it to rinse first tomorrow and see if it happens again. We did remove the waste line and it sprays out fine for a couple seconds then shuts off. Last year when we were first dealing with the pool we wouldn't turn it off each time then we learned from the pool place the importance of shutting it off between each turn on the multi port valve. [emoji30] it had crossed my mind that maybe something inside the valve is not working correctly now.
So what's the latest on your pool saga?

It is clear!! This was yesterday and I stopped the slam process. But last night, my pump stopped working. I put my hand by the propeller and i couldnt feel anything clogging it. I think im goimg to attempt to check the wires on the backside today. A little bummed about this as I just got it all clear. I left it unplugged all night. Haven't tried yet this morning.
b2f49c1b87fb8f6289094dd1a71ccc3b.jpg
3ca9841f8b530cb1a985ba14c786d32b.jpg

It is clear!! This was yesterday and I stopped the slam process. But last night, my pump stopped working. I put my hand by the propeller and i couldnt feel anything clogging it. I think im goimg to attempt to check the wires on the backside today. A little bummed about this as I just got it all clear. I left it unplugged all night. Haven't tried yet this morning.
b2f49c1b87fb8f6289094dd1a71ccc3b.jpg
3ca9841f8b530cb1a985ba14c786d32b.jpg
Take a picture of the wires if you want and post. If you're not familiar with electrical then maybe I can spot something you don't.

My baby was napping so I decided to start on the motor. This is where I'm at. Trying to get the bolts off the back cover but im having trouble finding the tools. May need to wait till the husband gets home. I did notice a faint smell when I was bringing the motor up to the house. I can't really describe it.
e03ccf76fb668f063a6e3a1bb923831d.jpg
f58f78cd447fbc5f702c66b5889022e5.jpg
6d3558f2e52fe0a4df998f053238b70e.jpg
3bd43e5c682bfb2df7b3499d39a31431.jpg
550e0ccb4cb88789ea1fdd8b145e1bf0.jpg

My baby was napping so I decided to start on the motor. This is where I'm at. Trying to get the bolts off the back cover but im having trouble finding the tools. May need to wait till the husband gets home. I did notice a faint smell when I was bringing the motor up to the house. I can't really describe it.
Well taking it apart from there is up to you. First I'd say can you move the impeller and will it go a full rotation?
If you can shake the motor is there anything rattling?
Can you update where you're at regarding it's function. As I recall it turns on to the point of pumping water but then stops pumping, himself, and then clicks off?
Now that it's disconnected from the system can you turn it on for just a few seconds, I'd say five seconds, and tell if it's turning? I'm not clear on how you have it wired. I have mine wired to a GFCI outlet with a switch like you have in your house.
Five seconds of running without water isn't going to harm it.
When troubleshooting anything you need to take away anything that has an influence on what you're testing. The pipes going to and from the pool have influence. If you wanted to test a clothes dryer you would want to disconnect it from the vent hose. If your pool pump runs fine while disconnected from the pool lines then it starts to point to a clog in your pipes. It could still be something with the load of the water on the pump but it's best to rule out simple things first. A friend had her clothes washer stop working for two weeks. I went to check it out and found out the breaker was off. With electricity to the washer it worked as prescribed.

Additionally the back end of that pump looks like it's been sitting in mud.
People are going to scream but the reality is that if that pump is in proper working order then everything exposed should be water resistant. A person should be able to wash it out with a hose. Not high pressure, just regular hose worth your thumb over the end to get a little velocity. Even though it should be completely sealed I would do it unplugged and then set it on end to drain and dry.
Again if spraying it out we're to cause any issue then there is a bigger issue at hand as everything should be sealed. Electrical connections inside would be sealed with a special grease.

Additionally the back end of that pump looks like it's been sitting in mud.
People are going to scream but the reality is that if that pump is in proper working order then everything exposed should be water resistant. A person should be able to wash it out with a hose. Not high pressure, just regular hose worth your thumb over the end to get a little velocity. Even though it should be completely sealed I would do it unplugged and then set it on end to drain and dry.
Again if spraying it out we're to cause any issue then there is a bigger issue at hand as everything should be sealed. Electrical connections inside would be sealed with a special grease.
I can rotate it all the way around and it spins freely. The pump is sitting on a black stand with the sand filter but when our backwash hose punctured we just let the water discharge out the side spraying the opposite direction. It would pool water under the pump and it would get muddy. I have sprayed it out and wiped it down to clean it up already. When I plug it in to check it should I reattach everything or can I plug the motor in without attaching the skimmer to It?

Don't spray water up in the motor. It is Drip Proof, not waterproof. The motor is not designed to handle sprayed water. Nameplate says enclosure DP.

Does the shaft spin freely?

If the motor can start on the bench and stay running for more than a couple of seconds, then it is probably the capacitor. You shouldn't run a very long without water, the wet end seals need to stay cool.

Make sure the motor is dry. It shouldn't be an issue with any water that doesn't freely pour out but you might as well let it dry as much as possible. Since you already cleaned it out; not sure if you did by my suggestion or on your own, I've done it and had no issue. It's really something people could argue about for eternity.
Anyway, once it's dry, testing it for five seconds would be fine. Test it without being attached. Keep your hands off so you don't put a finger in it. Report back.

If the pump won't start and all you hear is a hmmmmm...when the power is turned on, it may just be a capacitor. Take the back plate off the motor (probably an 8 mm socket) and you should see the capacitor. Remove the capacitor (2 wires and one small bolt) and take it to the pool store for a replacement. Be careful removing those small bolts holding the back plate on as those bolts are skinny and probably haven't been removed in a long time (I had to replace the capacitor in my pump a few months ago). (edit to show picture of capacitor)

Attachments

• 20170527_110402.jpg
    20170527_110402.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 35

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.