First time pool owner

If the pump won't start and all you hear is a hmmmmm...when the power is turned on, it may just be a capacitor. Take the back plate off the motor (probably an 8 mm socket) and you should see the capacitor. Remove the capacitor (2 wires and one small bolt) and take it to the pool store for a replacement. Be careful removing those small bolts holding the back plate on as those bolts are skinny and probably haven't been removed in a long time (I had to replace the capacitor in my pump a few months ago). (edit to show picture of capacitor)
Don't mean to be a buttinski, just be careful with the capacitor. It can and will zap the pee right out of you. With power disconnected you should use an insulated screwdriver, and I use glove too, to short the capacitor out. Touch the metal of the screwdriver across the two terminals of the capacitor. It may spark or it may not. Either way it discharges it and makes it safe to handle.

Sorry just getting back to the pump this evening. I got the end off and this is the wiring. I had not been able to get the pump to turn on at all for two days. I reset braker tonight and cleaned debris out from around cords and turned it on. It starts now but still just makes the humming sound. We left it plugged in for about 10 seconds (my husband wasnt listening to me when I said 5 seconds) and tried to rotate the gear to kick start it but it didn't work. It started to smoke between the motor and the propeller so I unplugged it immediately. He says the motor is fried but he isn't a pool junky like me. If the motor was done for wouldn't it not start at all?

Forgot to show pictures.
fc03b07a7ea4b28ea1859e5f882cc820.jpg
7afb22c1455a90cc5d68a9e0fda1f4de.jpg

Sorry just getting back to the pump this evening. I got the end off and this is the wiring. I had not been able to get the pump to turn on at all for two days. I reset braker tonight and cleaned debris out from around cords and turned it on. It starts now but still just makes the humming sound. We left it plugged in for about 10 seconds (my husband wasnt listening to me when I said 5 seconds) and tried to rotate the gear to kick start it but it didn't work. It started to smoke between the motor and the propeller so I unplugged it immediately. He says the motor is fried but he isn't a pool junky like me. If the motor was done for wouldn't it not start at all?
Better get it looked at by a professional. Or buy a new one

I still believe it is the capacitor that went bad.

However if you're going to buy a new pump /motor, get a 1hp 2 speed motor this time. Most of the time you can run it on low speed and save a lot of electricity. You will have about half the flow in LS but a quarter of the power consumption.
I'm ok with trying it. I have watched a video on it but I'm unsure on which one to buy. And I still haven't got the back plate off entirely. Just the small square that exposes the wires and the bolts that held that small square are not good anymore.

I'm ok with trying it. I have watched a video on it but I'm unsure on which one to buy. And I still haven't got the back plate off entirely. Just the small square that exposes the wires and the bolts that held that small square are not good anymore.
You're referring to the other small bolts/screws?
Use a nut driver, small socket and ratchet set, or a small ignition wrench. Putting some penetrating oil on them for a few minutes would be ideal but I also realize this probably feels like it's eating you alive at this point.

You're referring to the other small bolts/screws?
Use a nut driver, small socket and ratchet set, or a small ignition wrench. Putting some penetrating oil on them for a few minutes would be ideal but I also realize this probably feels like it's eating you alive at this point.
Some example pictures. If you happen to have an impact driver it would be good provided you understand how it works and keep the socket straight in relation to the bolt/screw. Picture two and three can be used with an impact driver. Last picture I the impact driver.
696ba4620a8d2ddd4875c2f734eb115f.jpg
a09dfe5125be64438615e938157709a5.jpg
63349249b20cb37b567af4a1214c9ce7.jpg
8b744c8ad91b7e52e4c11b30c7debd2e.jpg
f8419d564356d68ca0a35e0ab1241dbc.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, just pull those 4 small bolts out of the back. They look like 1/4" a nut driver or socket should get them. A little penetrating oil or even wd-40 will help free them up.

As far as the capacitor. Once you get to it there should be numbers on it just google them and you should find it, or some pool stores carry them just take it in and they can probably identify it (just don't let them sell you any chemicals [emoji12])

Yes, I'm sure I have those tools. The trick is finding the correct one because it's a mad house on the tool bench. I will try to get further tomorrow. Wish I had a good hour alone (I babysit) to work on this! Plus I'm a little scared of the capacitor blowing up at me lol I'm sure when I get to it i will be covered in fire fighter attire. [emoji23] thank you for everyone's help and feedback. Still have a clear pool I'm still adding bleach every night and manually stirring it! My arms should be in good shape by the time I have a working pump. But hey, you all are awesome so Thank you!!!

It's tough to tell from the picture but my bet is it's 1/4". When you get to the cap you can use a screwdriver or something with a rubber handle to touch both poles simultaneously with. It shouldn't have a charge but this will ensure it.

Another tip is take a picture of all the wiring and how it's routed before disconnecting anything. This can help a lot when you put it back together.

Yes, I'm sure I have those tools. The trick is finding the correct one because it's a mad house on the tool bench. I will try to get further tomorrow. Wish I had a good hour alone (I babysit) to work on this! Plus I'm a little scared of the capacitor blowing up at me lol I'm sure when I get to it i will be covered in fire fighter attire. [emoji23] thank you for everyone's help and feedback. Still have a clear pool I'm still adding bleach every night and manually stirring it! My arms should be in good shape by the time I have a working pump. But hey, you all are awesome so Thank you!!!
As long as you discharge it you'll be fine. Search YouTube for discharge capacitor safely.

It's tough to tell from the picture but my bet is it's 1/4". When you get to the cap you can use a screwdriver or something with a rubber handle to touch both poles simultaneously with. It shouldn't have a charge but this will ensure it.

Another tip is take a picture of all the wiring and how it's routed before disconnecting anything. This can help a lot when you put it back together.
Agreed, it may have no charge. Making sure is worth the effort.

I'm not an expert on motors but I don't think that one has a cap. It would be between the plug and the motor. The motor does look pretty rough. That black part on the winding looks like it burnt. Motor might be shot, lets see what others have to say...

I'm not an expert on motors but I don't think that one has a cap. It would be between the plug and the motor. The motor does look pretty rough. That black part on the winding looks like it burnt. Motor might be shot, lets see what others have to say...
I thought it looked burnt as well. But was not sure what it should look like. Honestly, it looks terrible on the inside. I think we may just have to get another one.

I'm back, we got the motor apart. I can not find the capacitor? It looks nothing like videos i have watched.

The capacitor would have been just under a dust cover. Your motor doesn't have a cap. You would not have had to pull the bearing housing. You disassembled way further than needed, lol. It looks like the windings are shorted, where the black area is. Motor is shot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.