First time pool owner

New results after having SWG run at 90% on a four hour cycle for 3 days.

ph 8.2. Just added MA. Will check again in an hour
FC. 6. I think I need to turn SWG down on percentage???
CC 0
TA 120
CYA 50

CH 220

Ok. I am getting frustrated. Apparently the sun is just evaporating my pool water. I've had to add water twice this week. I've checked for leaks and I've seen nothing. I've only been filling it to barely above the bottom of skimmer. Currently, it's filling again and this time I'm going to fill it to half way up the skimmer. The ph in the city water must be high because every time I've added water, the ph is 8.2 or higher....always purple. So I add MA to bring it back to normal. Also, as I'm filling the pool now, I have the waterfall running and the pump on high. I can smell chlorine pretty strongly. I'm going to test the water later and post results, but I'm thinking my SWG percentage is too high. It's currently sitting at 75%. It runs for four hours a day in the evening after the sun is off the pool.

I guess maybe if I fill the pool to halfway up the skimmer, it won't evaporate as quickly? Or I just won't have to add water as often? I'm getting very irritated! Lol

Hi Ruth. The normal water level for most pools is about half way up the skimmer, so you should keep it around there. I'm in Shreveport, where it's really hot also, and in the summer I probably only have to top the pool off at most once a week, and that's maybe an inch if that. Also, waterfalls, or any disturbance of the water, pushes your pH up. So if you have your waterfall running a lot, I'd check my pH rise every day for a few days and adjust with MA daily. Then do the same thing but keep the waterfall off for a few days to see if that doesn't slow it down. You'll get a feel for how much the waterfalls are contributing to your pH rise, and know about how much MA to add on a regular basis. I have two fountains in my pool and I know once I start using them in the summer that I'll need to add about 12 oz of MA every other day. I still test pH 3-4 times a week, but I'm pretty spot on with what it needs. Also test your tap water with your pH kit and you'll know what's in the water you're adding. Be sure to make you a log of some sort to keep track of your test results, and what you add. That way you can look back and start to see patterns. My log is in a 3 ring binder and goes back 4 years! It's helpful.

You're doing great!

Ok. Pool is almost halfway to skimmer....close enough for now. I just tested the water.

ph 8.2
FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
CH. 75 (what the heck? How did it go from 220 to 75 in a couple of days?)
TA 120
CYA 40

heres my plan. 22 oz of MA and 1 gallon of liquid conditioner (I'm so over the granulated conditioner. Lol). I'll re-test in a couple of hours. I'm not really concerned about TA and it looks like I got the SWG under control. I dropped the percentage. FC has been holding at 4 for three days. Am I on the right track?

forgot to mention, I turned the waterfall down to half also...it only runs when pump is on, but halfway seems better. Maybe I can keep the ph from going berserk.

Ok. new test results ph 7.6 CYA 60 I'm getting closer, and I'm starting to get the hang of this stuff! :)

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, these are the numbers I've been targeting.

with SWG
FC 3-5 (See chart)
pH 7.6-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 300-400
CYA 70-80

What do I do about my CH? It's always been running 200+ and today 75. I re-tested twice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ruth try this:

Pool School - Leak Detection

THIS will answer THE question about leak or evaporation.

Just in case you did not know this but your water fall will also push your PH up. Rain, water rolling from returns, waterfall, etc will push up PH.

Kim

I'm pretty sure it's evaporation. I checked everything I could think of and no leaks that I can tell. The pool is in full sun from 8am to 4pm. It makes sense it's evaporation.

Ruth I am worried about your CH with you having plaster. I think you HAVE to have CH with plaster.

You might want to start a new thread with this in the heading to get help as I have NO idea about CH and plaster.

Make sure to post your full set of test results with the back story with the CH.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.