PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi All, We are preparing to build a pool. We are currently trying to choose our pavers. We have narrowed it down to color (chesapeake blend) and type but can't decide between smooth versus chamfered texture. This will be Nicolock Apline Ridge versus Alpine Contemporary. Any reason we should consider one over the other besides purely preference? For context, we are located in Pennsylvania. Thank you.

Hi, My wife and I are undertaking an endeavor of putting a pool in our backyard. This project will include re-doing our current hardscape as well as placing an outside kitchen. Project is set to start at the end of this coming summer. We are quickly realizing there are what feels to be a million decisions to be made but are excited. Here is a layout of whats to come! Thank you in advance for any input/insight.
Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 8.37.31 PM.png

Reactions: elleb and newdude
Here are some details of the pool. I plan to take 'before' pictures soon...so I will upload those soon.
675 sq ft. Gunite pool (3.5°-7*), including , walk-in steps, waterfall.
1-2 hp pump
Sunshelf 80 Sq ft
Pool Heater 399,999 BTU
1- cartridge filter
Two skimmers, and necessary returns for proper circulation
Additional Pentair variable speed pump to operate pool and spa (energy efficient)
Color changing LED low voltage lights (4)
Saltwater generator built in filter
Hayward Easy Touch Control Center with WiFi
Pebble Sheen plaster
Electric cleaner

Looks like a great master plan! Which direction is north? I have a landscape interest so I'm curious.

Hi All, We are preparing to build a pool. We are currently trying to choose our pavers. We have narrowed it down to color (chesapeake blend) and type but can't decide between smooth versus chamfered texture. This will be Nicolock Apline Ridge versus Alpine Contemporary. Any reason we should consider one over the other besides purely preference? For context, we are located in Pennsylvania. Thank you.
The chamfered texture is a beveled edge, right? If so I would be aware that it's another edge to step on (with bare feet). Those pavers are pretty large so it's not like you would step on an edge every step compared to a small paver but just something to think about. I personally would go smooth. I don't see a difference between the two pavers but it might just be the website (they both look great to me). The plan looks awesome!

Do you have model numbers for any of the equipment? That is very important to make sure it is big enough for your pool.
Hi! Here is what I know so far…
Hayward Tristar VS 950 - pump
Hayward cl 3040 cartridge filter
Omnilogic or pl omni panel depending on what functions we need.
Hayward rdx400 for the heater

Nice, that's one of the two directions I was hoping, since your Green Giants will become giant - and in PA you don't want any more shade on the pool than you can help. Also of note, crape myrtles near a pool will shed lot of blossoms in the prime summer swim season, which float on the water and stick to the tile line as the water pushes them up. It seems like your yard drops off to the south if I'm getting the gist of your plan (no pool deck on that side) and if so, that lower elevation will keep the height of the CM's down. If it doesn't, I always encourage a deck all the way around for access and maintenance.

Do you have electrical outlets planned for the lower level by the pool? Having them in a few areas along those walls are good for chargers, etc. I really like the bench on the far side of the pool since it faces back towards the spa and other primary seating areas. Have you incorporated storage for all of your poolside floats, noodles, basketballs, cushions, etc? Deck boxes or small/low sheds work well but take a lot of space and therefore planning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On your paver surface question, either one is probably just fine. I'm sure with non-pruned feet, both would be super. I suppose for very sensitive feet, and pruned feet at that, the one with the natural cleft surface may have some feeling to it. But again, it looks so modest, that its likely more of an appearance thing. I think on the appearance side, if you are going with a very geometric setting and tile that leans contemporary, I'd go with contemporary (smooth). While our pool is geometric, everything around it is a bit more rustic and certainly our garden is on the cottage garden style, so our stamped concrete (similar to the Alpine Ridge) is a good fit.

But essentially I'm saying little to no performance difference in my view. Either will certainly not be slippery since they are pavers that absorb water. The only thing there is if you have shaded areas that could get green over time (from not being cleaned), they can get slippery when wet, or even when not.

The chamfered texture is a beveled edge, right? If so I would be aware that it's another edge to step on (with bare feet). Those pavers are pretty large so it's not like you would step on an edge every step compared to a small paver but just something to think about. I personally would go smooth. I don't see a difference between the two pavers but it might just be the website (they both look great to me). The plan looks awesome!
Agreed! Thank you for your input. We plan to go check out a few of our contractors past projects to help us make this decision.

On your paver surface question, either one is probably just fine. I'm sure with non-pruned feet, both would be super. I suppose for very sensitive feet, and pruned feet at that, the one with the natural cleft surface may have some feeling to it. But again, it looks so modest, that its likely more of an appearance thing. I think on the appearance side, if you are going with a very geometric setting and tile that leans contemporary, I'd go with contemporary (smooth). While our pool is geometric, everything around it is a bit more rustic and certainly our garden is on the cottage garden style, so our stamped concrete (similar to the Alpine Ridge) is a good fit.

But essentially I'm saying little to no performance difference in my view. Either will certainly not be slippery since they are pavers that absorb water. The only thing there is if you have shaded areas that could get green over time (from not being cleaned), they can get slippery when wet, or even when not.
Thank you for your input!

Nice, that's one of the two directions I was hoping, since your Green Giants will become giant - and in PA you don't want any more shade on the pool than you can help. Also of note, crape myrtles near a pool will shed lot of blossoms in the prime summer swim season, which float on the water and stick to the tile line as the water pushes them up. It seems like your yard drops off to the south if I'm getting the gist of your plan (no pool deck on that side) and if so, that lower elevation will keep the height of the CM's down. If it doesn't, I always encourage a deck all the way around for access and maintenance.

Do you have electrical outlets planned for the lower level by the pool? Having them in a few areas along those walls are good for chargers, etc. I really like the bench on the far side of the pool since it faces back towards the spa and other primary seating areas. Have you incorporated storage for all of your poolside floats, noodles, basketballs, cushions, etc? Deck boxes or small/low sheds work well but take a lot of space and therefore planning.
Thank you for our input! All very great points. The area you are referring to will actually by leveled with the pool. The rest of my yard is not pictured on the drawing but it will be level with the pool at the lower elevation. I was thinking the same thing, adding electrical outlets throughout the plan. I plan to ask them to run electrical wire when they run the landscaping lights and speaker wire. I plan to be placing a shed on the other side of my yard (not pictured) when I bring he fence down for this project.

Reactions: bmoreswim
OH I like what I see! I would LOVE to see the details of your build!

As for the share with us a pic of your home and any inspiration pics you have for your pool and area so we can see the look you are going for!
Here is an aerial pic of the area that we will be completing the project
F57AAF22-7EF0-44D4-BD97-C28E3EEE01CD.jpeg

Reactions: kimkats
I was discussing control panels with my contractor today and we discussed a few things that I have to think about. This started with discussing Omnilogic vs OmniPL. He proposed some valid points that I have to consider. One point is leaving my spa open all year, is that worth it? (we live in PA). If I place my lights through that panel then I may not have light in the backyard if I shut down both pool and spa during non-swim seasons. Some things to consider. Any thoughts or ideas someone would like to share? Thank you in advance!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.