First Time Pool Owner in Georgia

albertg

Bronze Supporter
Nov 3, 2019
Marietta, GA
Hi,

I recently bought a house with a pool in it here in GA. Up until last week it was getting serviced weekly but now I've decided to take it on. Got the TFT kit and subscribed to Pool Math and so far so good. I love this forum and the wealth of knowledge.

TA 80
pH 7.5
FC 3.5
CC 0
CYA 60
CH 125

~15k gallons

-Removed puck dispenser today (going to let the rains bring down the CYA)
-Pool math had me adding some chlorine to bring up to 6 with current CYA at 60
-Need to get some CH increase after work today

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Glad to see you already have a good test kit. Make sure to include which test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) in your signature when you update it with your pool and equipment info. Sounds like you may have a plaster pool if you're adding calcium, but we don't like to assume which is why the signature is so important. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Glad to see you already have a good test kit. Make sure to include which test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) in your signature when you update it with your pool and equipment info. Sounds like you may have a plaster pool if you're adding calcium, but we don't like to assume which is why the signature is so important. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Hi! Yes, in ground plaster pool surround by trees. I estimate around 15k gallons.

Question, I plan to keep the pool open this winter and maintain it with a solar cover on pretty much the whole time. Besides running the pump during freezing temperatures (I have no heating element), anything else I need to be aware of? I know the pool cover would make it hard to scrub the walls, but I'm hoping to get a robot for that. Any issues running a robot with the cover on?

Winter care is quite easy once any threat from leaves is gone. Chlorine consumption drops dramatically, and using the robot is great. Chemical changes will be very slow, but you can check them periodically as needed. Stick close to the APP and you'll be fine. :goodjob:

Awesome, thanks!

Oh another question. Last week I found a bunch of leaves in the filter basket at the pump (I had failed to get ahead of the winds and rain and keeping the leaves out). I was surprised there was so many and the flow was nearly blocked. Leaves can only get in through the skimmer (maybe pool guy let them in when cleaning. I mean he did know we were cancelling) or main drain I guess. Hard to believe that many can get sucked in with the main drain plastic filter. Anyway, the suction from the skimmer is not like I remember. Could it be a little clogged? If so, how can I clear it? Note that I only have one inlet from the ground to the pump. This implies the junction from the skimmer plumbing to the main drain plumbing is somewhere underground.

Also, the filter (which is new btw) shows very little pressure when running. Something like 2psi. Though the returns feel like a good amount of flow. The valve that controls the returns is set to all open (normal returns(2) + spa returns(2)). I can only get it to jump to 10ish psi if I set the returns only to the spa, otherwise it stays around 2psi (unless I close the valve of course) Does this say anything to you?

Last edited:
Hey there Albertg! Welcome to TFP......always good to have another Georgian in the crowd.

I don't close my pool in winter. On nights predicted to be below freezing Skippy and I just run the pump overnight. Skippy also covers the pool equipment with moving blankets covered by a tarp, and hangs an automobile work light on underneath. This makes us feel better keeping the exposed equipment a skosh warmer.....and in over 8 years we've never had a problem.

Maddie :flower: