First Time Pool Owner (Houston Pool Build)

Re: First Time Pool Owner (Houston Pool Build)

Thanks Nectarologist!

I just did that and am surprised, so I want to make sure I understand this right.

With 3000 sf of roof + 1000 sf of concrete patio (both rounded up a bit) for a total of 4000 sf impervious area, with the 25 Year Rainfall Rate of 3.0, the outcome is 124.71 gpm.

And looking at this calculator it appears that a single 4" pipe at 3 % grade can handle 127.9 gpm, so technically 1 x 4" pipe would already suffice?
Drainage Calculator by Pipe Size Prinsco, Inc

We plan on putting two 4" pipes (one on each side of the house) going to the street, so we should be well covered? Or would you to be safe just upgrade to a 5" pipe?

We are getting close to finalizing the quotes/selections and should ideally choose a interior finish before signing to avoid upcharges later.

As mentioned before, we want a smooth finish and after looking into both Wetedge Primera Stone, Wetedge Altima and Hydrazzo we are leaning towards saving the $3,500 up charge and just go with the Altima since we like clear light blue water color of the white plaster with the blue pieces of the WetEdge Altima Blue.

We visited two Altima pools with the PB today and one felt extremely smooth, the other felt more like the samples we had felt of a quartz finish. Both had been plastered in the past month. Is this a matter of how well the pool has been brushed? Or did the WetEdge applicator do a better job on one of those two pools? Or any other explanations how the same finish can feel so differently?

Any strong recommendations against Altima? We understand the warranty is shorter and it won't allow to be re-polished like the Primera Stone or Hydrazzo but the PB told us that if we do a good job maintaining pool chemistry, he thinks it could last 10-15 years (7 year warranty) before it needs to be re-plastered. Does that sound right?

I would still appreciate some thoughts on the Altima plaster (see post above) but for now I have some final design questions.
I think we really have it narrowed down (thanks Brian, as you can see we incorporated your idea). See below a dimensions picture and the youtube link to the video. Overall we are already very excited about this outcome!

Main remaining question is about the pool lights. Do you think we need the GloBright on the lower step on the very left or will the main pool light cover that shallow end section well enough?

Any other design modifications / suggestions are very welcome before we finalize this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twc_J93OXVQ

outline.jpg

I REALLY like what I see!

I WOULD have all of the lights to avoid dark places in the pool. The only thing I would change is to move the main light to the right as close to the end of the bench as you can so it is more towards the deep end.

Kim:kim:

Your depth on the contract states 3' on one end - might want to check since 3.5 ft is what you mentioned in your prior posts - 3 ft is pretty shallow...we have 3.5 ft on one end of our pool and it is as shallow as I would go...

Also, one change I wish I had made was to go with a channel drain - especially with the depths you have mentioned having the 2 round drains right in the middle is right where a you end up in sports/play mode with either a volleyball net or basket ball hoop - the VGB drain covers are pretty tall and can get in the way right there. The other problem I have with my round drain covers is my robot gets stuck on top of the drain covers - if we had a center channel drain I think it could have been flush.

I mentioned in another post the "Pour A Lid" products which include skimmer covers and the pour a drain products - you can also get pool drain covers that can have the pebble or plaster finish applied to them so that your drain covers almost disappear. I would do that if I could have a do-over! Pebble Top Drain Covers

This is what I would have used: http://www.poolfittings.com/channel-pebble-top/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Plaster is not warranted against discoloration, staining, chipping, or cracking since such plaster defects generally result from local water conditions, improper use of chemicals, or improper cleaning of the pool.

So the contract states that the plaster is warranted for specific time frames depending on the plaster product chosen but the contract then excludes almost all major forms of defects that can occur. So what exactly are they offering as part of the plaster warranty?? That it won’t all fall off?

I get some clarification on that as plaster defects like mottling and white spots are caused not by pool chemistry but by poor plaster workmanship.

Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems

Scientific Evidence on Plaster Spotting

Being Blamed for Plaster Discolorations? Don't Get Hoodwinked

Cal Poly Pool Plaster Conclusions Shown to be Wrong

Research Reveals Need for Pool Plastering Standards

thanks to both of you!

@santacruzpool the channel drain i had not seen by any pool builder, so i would not want to try something that is unusual for the area. I have seen those nicer drain covers though: any idea how much those add to cost? just want to know in case the builder wants an upcharge for it

@JoyfulNoise we are looking at WetEdge products. Do i need to worry what the pool builder has in his contract since the warranty will be provided by WetEdge and their applicator?

http://wetedgetechnologies.com/files/WetEdgeWarranty-Currenty.pdf

Contract specifies a 400kBTU/hr heater, and that's fine. But it also states 3/4" line or larger diameter but does not specify how much run length is included in the contract or any additional charges. When we ran our gas line from the meter to to pool equipment, it was over 150 feet of 2" diameter gas line. That was required to ensure that the gas heater had enough gas supply (gas is supplied to the home after the meter at a very low pressure so you need large volume pipes to ensure all of your gas equipment can get enough supply). So -

1. How far away is your meter from the proposed equipment pad location?

2. What run length of gas pipe is included in the contract and how much does it cost to run the pipe over and above the included amount?

3. Will the gas work be done by a qualified gas plumber?

4. What other gas appliances are in the home (stoves, heaters, etc) and how much gas do they use (in BTU/hr)?

5. What size gas meter do you have and, if you add a 400kBTU/hr load to it (which is HUGE compared to most home appliances), then will you need a bigger meter (answer is almost always "YES")?

6. How much does your gas utility charge to upgrade your meter? (Some do it for free and others charge several hundred dollars for the upgrade)

7. Will the gas line be run under a lot of concrete? (Thus making it hard to get to in the event of a gas leak)

You should settle those questions with your PB now so that you know what to expect in terms of extra charges, if any.

@JoyfulNoise we are looking at WetEdge products. Do i need to worry what the pool builder has in his contract since the warranty will be provided by WetEdge and their applicator?

This warranty shall not cover damages that have been caused by physical abuse or neglect, through lack of proper water chemistry balancing or other chemical abuses, or sanitation applications. Daily water chemistry and pool operation must be maintained to the manufacturer’s standards. Please refer to the 28 Day Start Up Instructions and Daily maintenance Care Card. Water must be professionally tested once a month and records must be presented when making a warranty claim. All pool finishes are composed of natural materials that have certain inherent characteristics. Normal mottling could occur across the surface resulting from differences in moisture content and/or rate of hydration within the matrix of the surface coating. Normal mottled variation, is not considered a failure or defect, but is a normal characteristic of cementitious products. Re-polishing Primera® is not consider a material failure. Contractors will charge a fee to re-polish the surface.

Note - you must have your water "professionally tested" (ie, pool store testing) once per month and you must retain records. If you follow TFP recommended levels and the care method taught here, that will not work well with a pool store test and you'll almost certainly be "out of compliance". All that is to say that the applicator will have ample justification and wiggle-room to claim "pool owner chemistry neglect" if anything arises. You also have to ensure that you follow their 28-day start up procedure which is fairly standard. So, you need to get a hold of that technical startup procedure and make sure that your PB follows it when starting up the pool. They should do that, of course, but it's not unheard of to have PB's scoff at those sorts of things and take the attitude that, "I've been building pools for XX years and I know better than those clowns...."

I see you haven't yet settled on plaster colors so take time to search through TFP on that. Many people love the darker blues or greys but then run into a lot of trouble because those colors are the worst for streaking and mottling. Try to find a color you like but realize that the darker you go in any hue, the harder it will be to maintain color uniformity. All plaster eventually bleaches out and lightens up, there's absolutely no way to avoid it when using chlorine in a pool and having a pool sit outside in the sun all day. So you also need to find a color that you can live with if and when it lightens up a few shades...

thanks to both of you!

@santacruzpool the channel drain i had not seen by any pool builder, so i would not want to try something that is unusual for the area. I have seen those nicer drain covers though: any idea how much those add to cost? just want to know in case the builder wants an upcharge for it

You should be covered by the WetEdge warranty - I registered directly with them.

The pebble finish covers are only $25-$30 each.

We used the same type of covers for our skimmer, but stupidly paid an upgrade charge when we were meeting with the pool builder at the office going over all of our final choices - at the time the pool builder upgrade cost seemed reasonable, but I learned they were charging us triple what it would have cost me to buy it online!!! Only a $50 mistake...:oops:

Thanks, I really appreciate your time on this!

Regarding the gas line we should be fine, it is only about 10 ft. We are in city limits that requires inspections and testing on the gas line and a licensed plumber. The meter will be a new meter for the house and we hope to get the gas company to install the larger one right away since they know we have a pool, but the builder already told us that sometimes they still charge for the meter upgrade (which is on us if it happens).

Thanks for the comments on the warranty, I will ask the pool builder to include that he will follow the WetEdge start up procedure and maybe ask him to remove his exclusions on plaster and instead link to the WetEdge warranty.

Regarding color we have already made our selections, both are light colors: It will be Primera Stone, either Sky Blue Treasure or Azure Treasure.

10ft...hahah, that's great!! Explains why there's no mention of gas line costs in the contract. My PB only allowed for 15ft of gas line before he would charge $12/ft. As I said, we had 150ft to trench so adding the gas line was a big chunk of change. However, we stub'ed off a tee line that I eventually had run to a fire pit and BBQ island a few months later. That saved a bundle in not having to dig up an old gas line.

That said, if you do think you want any other outdoor gas toys (fireplace, fire pit, BBQ deck, tiki torches, etc, etc), now is the time to run a gas line even if all you do is bury it and wait until later. Some municipalities make you specify what you intend to use the gas line for and only give you a limited time to leave it in the ground, but that's something your builder will probably know more about.

Good choice on the colors. Should be really easy to take care of those and low risk in developing mottling or streaking. You will still get some bleaching of the color so just take that into account with your other finishing materials (waterline tile, etc).

Good luck on the build and, I did not mention it, but you got a very good payment schedule with clear milestones. Many people struggle to get that kind of specificity out of their pool builders.

Kim's input:

-Spa-it says "Anti vortex main drains (pool) 2---------------so will there by a main drain in the spa? Why does it say (pool) like that?

-equipment-get all model numbers!!!!!

-salt cell-how big? We say to go for twice the size of the pool-uses less power and gives way to long cell life

- clean up-up to 6 yards of sand-sand? Why sand instead of top soil?

-what kind of vacuum?

-what kind of "cleaning kit"?

-plumbing-I do not see any mention of valves-this is VERY important for the long term. You want valves like this: never lube jandy valve - Ïîèñê â Google Please note I just grabbed the first search thread I found so know there are others but this is one of the good kind. Do NOT allow them to put on the red or blue ball valves like found at Lowes and such. They will end up breaking

-plumbing-Unions are needed on every thing that may need work in the future-pump, filter, etc

I REALLY like your draw schedule! That one is how it should be! Paid AFTER the work is done and approved! Well done!!

KIm:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.