First time pool in owner in Saskatchewan Canada.

Sask88

May 23, 2020
Saskatchewan Canada
Hello,
I just added a 12' x 24' x 52" above ground Metal wall pool. It came with a Sta-lite 1hp pump, a sta-rite system 3 filter, Pool accessories (cover, vacuum, etc) and a bunch of chemicals.

I have the pool installed, just waiting for the new liner to arrive this week. Working on the plumbing soon as well. I also plan to build a solar panel for the roof of the pump shed and a fire pit heater for it.
I came a cross this site while researching and have done a lot of reading on here and would like to follow the tfp method. The only problem is the only Taylor 2006c test kit I can find is $325. Is there any way I can do this with a different test kit? There is also a 2006 for $200.

Welcome to the forum!
The issue with other test kits is they do not have the FAS-DPD test for FC/CC and a CYA test. The K2006 is fine, but you get very small reagent amounts. So you need FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills very quickly.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I found my last K 2006 on Amazon.ca, I think it was about 186$ all in. DPD powder and titration solution (2 oz bottle r-0871) are about 40-60$ for the pair, CYA reagent is fairly affordable as well. Once a year I order DPD/r -0871 and cya reagent, then every third spring I order a new k-2006.
I have seen a lot of swamps in town and on these forums, never had one myself so I consider it money well spent.

If you stay away from any algae outbreaks the small bottles should last this season.

Does your well have iron in the water? Any other metals?

It would be good to know. If you fill the pool with iron laden water, you will have a chore on your hands.

Can you not get a water quality report from the pump station operator? I assume it is potable water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support