First time pool build - The Woodlands, TX

KoPlumbing started up Tuesday, and it seemed like they got everything fine but filling in the trenches. One guy from the crew showed up Wednesday and filled them in. That seems inefficient because the electricians dug them right back up today. I spoke with the crew chief, and he's going to add an extra outlet for me on the equipment pad. He's not charging me, so maybe it's standard, but it's going to be a big help, as the closest outlet to that side of the house is extremely far away. I figure it'll also be nice if I decide to go the stenner pump route.

Any thoughts on stenner pump vs Intellichem? Builder quoted me $2600 on intellichem installation and I'm tempted, even if I don't fully understand everything yet.

Sorry about the picture quality, but my phone doesn't like low light.
enu5ysyg.jpg

The equipment pad. Not too exciting.

de9urehu.jpg

Another angle showing the trench going under our French drain.

3urape3e.jpg

Tapped into this faucet about 20' from the pad to run water for the auto fill.

azu6a8yg.jpg

Gas connection is right next to that. I was given a big speech about how they use insulated and welded pipe vs other, cheaper builders. Is this good attention to detail, or just blowing smoke?

y8u4ega5.jpg

Shortly after the electricians started. That's the start of the bonding wire, and one of the Intellibrite 5gs.

I'll post more detailed pictures of the equipment setup once they are finished.

Haven't had a lot of updates because we went 3 weeks without anyone showing up at all. Pool builder said that the contractors are getting behind because of rain and the World Cup. They finally came and did tile and coping last week. It's turning into a bit of a mess, and I'm not sure if my expectations are too high. Can I get opinions on this tile job?

yruqa4ym.jpg

Is this normal quality? Am I off base of I complain?

Not sure I like the cuts and grout widths. I bet it is hard to do BUT someone who is a REAL craftsman could do it. I would talk to your PB and show him and talk to him about it. You are spending quite a bit of money and this is something that could make or brake a job.

Kim

That's a very tricky curve. But it should be done much better. All pieces should be cut, there should not be any straight ones.

Try taking a bunch of tiles out of the box. Lay them on top of each other until the angle looks right. Play with the angles until it looks right and mark them.

By the way, howdy from down Gosling.

I think everyone should expect some level of acceptable craftsmanship. I wouldnt think the quality of that tile would be considered acceptable. Probably the guy that did is a beginner and didnt have any oversight by someone who knows how to do tile curves.

Is that a spill over or will the water level be the same height on each side? If it's a spill over, you may want to have about a 1 inch lip on the edge (maybe more) to get the look of a sheet of water spilling into the pool (if you want that). Also, if spill over, you may want to consider an option to have one solid piece of stone (granite or something like that).

If the area to be covered is greater than 12 inches wide, anyone would have a tough time making 6 inch waterline tile look right in that spot.

Either way, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to insist on having that re-worked.

World Cup has been incredible this year, eh!

Scot

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We decided to go with flagstone for the spillway, but the tile guys aren't coming back to do it until this Friday, which is 2 weeks since we first told them to redo it.

The pool builder just told us that we are scheduled for plaster on Monday. If that happens, and we have the pool filled by Tuesday, will we be able to swim by Saturday in most cases?

We've had some progress!

8y7usane.jpg

The deck finally got finished.

abu5enap.jpg

a3usyrym.jpg

Redid the spillway with Flagstone.

ezaguvan.jpg

The cleanup crew came this morning and removed all of the forms, and used what was left of the dirt pile to smooth out the yard.

Another crew showed up while I was writing this post to replace the fence section that was torn down.

We were told that our plaster was scheduled for today, so I'm hoping they show up soon.

Yeah, our entire build got set back weeks 2 days in. We were supposed to have gunite done on Saturday before Memorial Day, but he changed it to Tuesday. Then it rained a ton all week, gunite went in late, and it snowballed. All the time that the gunite was curing, we had sunshine, and as soon as it was ready, it went back to raining. Then our plaster got pushed 2 weeks because of that stupid spillway job. We were originally told that it should be done on June 20th, but July 4th at the latest. Clearly didn't hit that mark. That being said, as annoyed as we are with the delays and the pool builder being on a 3 week vacation out of the country, it's still way better than many of the horror stories I've read.

Spillway looks very nice with the flagstone...nice contrasting color.

I think anything less than 2 months is pretty good on average for In- ground gunite.

Well, the weather cooperated, and we had 3 days of sunshine. Each morning the pool builder told us the plaster crew was coming, and each day they did not come. Called this morning, and PB said the chance of rain is too high today, and they were afraid of streaking. So that means no plaster today, and the rain is supposed to be worse tomorrow and Saturday, so I'm thinking Monday at the soonest. How frustrating. :-\

It is frustrating. The rains have been very spotty in Houston over the last several weeks. We had a very nice rain about two weeks ago when most of Houston got nothing. But except for a shower early this morning we've had zero in the Memorial area in the last 10 days or so while many areas in and around Houston have seen some decent rains. With the current forecast, your PB is wise to wait.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.