First time opening my pool - some issues with DE and air in the lines

peterfitton

Silver Supporter
May 4, 2020
Connecticut
Hi group,
I decided to try to open my pool myself this past weekend despite not yet having a test kit. I’m a complete newbie to this and figured I’d get started on the basics while I waited for my test kit to arrive. My issues are best summed up as these:
1. When I put my filter inline, I lose flow about an hour after backwashing it. Bypassing the filter I get lots of flow.

2. I can’t seem to get my spa jet pump to prime, I think there’s air in there but can’t figure out how to purge it.

below is a narrative of the steps I’ve taken so far

After removing the cover, I found a slightly cloudy pool with a light green tint (not too bad really). I removed all the winter plugs, brushed the sides of the pool, and disassembled my Hayward DE filter. I hosed out the filter assemble and reassembled it.
After I was able to get the filter pump primed; I let it run overnight. I tried to vacuum the bottom but there wasn’t much suction to speak of. The next day I went to my local pool store and purchased a bag of DE and scooped 5 lbs in to a skimmer. I also added 40lbs of water softener salt and a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine from walmart.
I let that run overnight and the water looks very clear despite my complete lack of flow. I have some DE powder in my spa as result of several backwash attempts via a de separation tank that is inline.

In hindsight I think I should not have run my de filter after cleaning it without charging it right away.

Any guidance is appreciated, just keep in mind I don’t yet have a way to test the water (my test kit is arriving soon I hope).
Thanks in advance. Peter

Welcome to TFP.

What test kit do you have on order?

You probably have algae in your water that is clogging your filter after an hour. The fix is our SLAM Process. And you need your test kit.

In the meantime put your filter on RECIRCULATE and add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine a day.

When you get your test kit post your test results or share your PoolMath log.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Last edited:
If you ran your DE filter for any length of time without DE in it you clogged the grids. You need to open up the filter and clean the grids manually. Backwashing will not clean the grids of the algae and other stuff that got on it.

Gotcha. I did run the pump without DE in the filter overnight. I will clean the filter as the next step. By cleaning, Are you suggesting the ‘take it apart and hose down the grids’ method, or the more involved ‘soak it in a barrel of diluted acid’ method? Thanks again for the suggestions. P

Really depends how the grids look. It is a game time decision.

Update, got my test kit and ran my first round of tests. It was fun. Here are the results:
CYA: 40
TA: 160
CH: 140
FC: 10.5
CC: 1
TC: 11.5
pH: 8.2
Cl: 5

The water looks and feels good. does anything jump off the page here as trouble? Thanks all.

Update, got my test kit and ran my first round of tests. It was fun. Here are the results:
CYA: 40
TA: 160
CH: 140
FC: 10.5
CC: 1
TC: 11.5
pH: 8.2
Cl: 5

The water looks and feels good. does anything jump off the page here as trouble? Thanks all.

Your CH is low for a plaster pool.
pH is high.
TA is high but will come down as you lower pH
what is Cl 5?
CC of 1 is a bit concerning. If that continues do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.