First time hot tub buyer trying to decide on witch to get

Aug 10, 2012
Normal, IL
I am looking at the 110v entry level tubs. My local pool store has a viking royale p Royale P - Royale - VIKING SERIES - Shop for $3400 or a Catalina malibu Malibu - Online Hot Tub Specials - The Great Escape for $3150. We where all so looking at Lifesmart spas Retreat DLX 5 Retreat DLX 5-Person 28-Jet Plug and Play Hot Tub for $2440 siped from wayfair.

So is the viking worth the extra $1000 over lifesmart? The viking aesthetically looks better. but other than looks what elce does the $1000 buy me.
Insulation? Parts availability I am shore would be better on the viking.
Just looking for some advice thank you.

Hi. The tubs you are looking at are great for 2 things. They are an awesome experiment to see if you should invest in a 220v hot tub. Some people don’t end up using it much once the newness wears off, and they didn’t break the bank. Along the same lines, They are as much of a hot tub that some will be able to afford.

it is also smaller, and easier to care for than the bigger tubs. Half the gallons is half the chemicals and less to wipe down and keep clean.

the downside of the entry level tubs is they will never be the heavenly experience that most people associate with hot tubs. The heater and pump share the one leg of 110v and they both suffer. The jets, while much nicer than nothing, will not have the force to be a full body massage, and there are many less of them in each seat. There are 3 or 4 instead of 10 or 12.

In cold weather it won’t be able to keep up with the heat loss from using it. Sometimes mine would drop 15 degrees in one 15 min cycle of usage. I cut a small solar cover for it and it helped. I would sit under it like a regular blanket and it would buy me more time before it got too cold.

Some of the 110v tubs have a funky heater thing which is part of the pump instead of a separate device. Those cannot run one without the other. So if it needs heating or filtration both will kick on and these tubs will use as much energy as a 220v tub without any of the benefits of the big tub. My hot tub was one of these and while i originally thought the 110v would be a savings on my electric bill, It didn’t work out that way.

My PB was as upfront as possible about to being a ‘starter tub’. He said if I used it all the time I would know that the upgrade would be justified. We had already spent so much money on the pool build, I skimped on the hot tub. I did use it enough to justify a big one, but 2 years later I still didn’t want to spend the money to upgrade it.

I'm looking to get a hot tub soon too. The last time I bought one, I bought one that was way too big. This time I'll go smaller, but sticking with 220. Which "bells and whistles" to get is another part of it, what is important to you? Color changing LED lights? Waterfalls, stereos built in, etc.

....the downside of the entry level tubs is they will never be the heavenly experience that most people associate with hot tubs. The heater and pump share the one leg of 110v and they both suffer. The jets, while much nicer than nothing, will not have the force to be a full body massage, and there are many less of them in each seat. There are 3 or 4

My PB was as upfront as possible about to being a ‘starter tub’. He said if I used it all the time I would know that the upgrade would be justified. We had already spent so much money on the pool build, I skimped on the hot tub. I did use it enough to justify a big one, but 2 years later I still didn’t want to spend the money to upgrade it....

Hot tubs are like motorcycles and boats....you'll be money ahead if you just buy your second one first.

I'm looking to get a hot tub soon too. The last time I bought one, I bought one that was way too big. This time I'll go smaller, but sticking with 220. Which "bells and whistles" to get is another part of it, what is important to you? Color changing LED lights? Waterfalls, stereos built in, etc.
Lot's of used hot tubs can be had at half price or less. I'd get a bigger used one that is 240v and fairly new. Clean it up good and have it wired by an electrician. Parts are readily available if minor repairs are needed or something goes out (pumps, control panels, valves, etc).

Attachments

• 8aa Hot tub on trailer.jpg
    8aa Hot tub on trailer.jpg
    833.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 8a Hot tub home.jpg
    8a Hot tub home.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 8.32.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 8.32.18 PM.png
    555.4 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: jimmythegreek
Lot's of used hot tubs can be had at half price or less.
Usually much less. This is my advice for a first time buyer. As newdude said, new toy syndrome is rampant in the hot tub field. Everyone loves it at first, but after a while it might become that thing in the backyard growing pseudomonas cultures that costs you time and money.
When it comes to new tubs, a good dealer is more important than a good deal. You will be dealing with them for years to come, you hope. Buy from wayfair, thermospas, costco, etc. and you better be prepared to fix it yourself and get 0 support except from us. Most dealers only service what they sell, pool guys usually won't touch a portable spa, and independent repair techs (like me) won't mess around with warranty bs. Buy from a reputable dealer. Or at least have a good repair guy lined up before you drop the $.

The thing keeping me from 220v is my breaker box is full now. I do not know what it would cost to add a sub panel $500 plus??
There do not look to be many used ones I can find now will have to keep a eye out for them.
You don't necessarily need a sub panel, you can often replace two 110 breakers with a single, tandem 110v breaker like this one. Assuming you have 4 110v circuits in your panel and you replace them with 2 tandems, that'll free up a slot for a new 220v circuit. Of course, being mindful of your panel's rated service, observing all local and NEC codes, etc. To have an electrician come out and do just about anything, you're probably looking at $500 minimum, not to mention inspections if your municipality requires such.

I used to live next to the Dynasty hot tub factory in TN and they usually had "seconds" for reduced price and they had minor scratches or such defects. Anyway...it was horrible...leaked and customer service was awful - we went on a short vacation in the winter and came back to an empty tub....anyway...we gave it to a neighbor and got a Master Dynasty....it was the opposite. Quiet, well made, and the parts inside were top notch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.