Dec 16, 2015
Texas
Hi All,

I decided to take on maintaining my pool myself. No problem so far until my first time cleaning my filter. I have a Pentair Quad 100 DE filter, and following YouTube videos I managed to take apart, clean and put back together again. so far so good.

My problem came when added the DE into the skimmer. The suction pipe is right below a jet returning debri and such to the pool, so when I added the DE the jet immediately blew the DE powder right into the pool. I am looking for a way to stop the jet blowing while I add the DE powder. Any advise from anyone?

Below is a picture of my problem.

Thanks
Scott

AB3E4E33-90F2-4402-953F-8E47030361F7.jpeg

Scott,

You have one of those "magic" skimmers, that sends return water back through the skimmer to "in theory" help with the skimming.

You should have a valve to turn that return flow off.

Show us some pics of your equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Scott,

I have never tried poolman's way, so have no idea how well it works, but I like the idea of adding a little DE slurry at a time into a running skimmer.

I take a 5 gal bucket and add the DE the filter needs. Then fill the bucket with water. You will be amazed at the water that will still fit in the bucket. It is just like the DE is not even there. Then I stir it up into a slurry, and slowly pool it into the running skimmer. Logic says that will coat the grids more evenly, but I have no way to prove if that is true or not. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottallison1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.