First time cleaning filter why is the gravel at the bottom

sl,

I can't see where it hurts or helps... :confused: I can't think of any valid reason to add it....

I am assuming that the gravel is below the bottom cartridge filter holder?? Maybe the bottom cartridge holder is broken or cracked and the previous was trying to use the gravel as support????

If this were my cartridge filter, I would take it out. But I would inspect the cartridge holders to make sure they are working.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’m always surprised by the amount of sand at the bottom of my Pentair cartridge filter when I clean it. I wouldn’t call it gravel, though. I think my sand is tracked in to the pool from my old concrete deck. Yours is truly gravel? Weird.

I don’t leave it in there to bounce around & possibly cause damage when the pump is on. Besides, when I clean my filter, I want it to end up clean! I use my wet/dry shop vac to suck the sand out. Or you can scoop it out. I wouldn’t open the drain plug & just let it fall out & make a mess.

I first time I cleaned out the bottom of my filter it also appeared to have gravel in it (Pentair FNS 60). After a quick look, I figured out it was small pieces of loose pebble from my stonescapes plaster installation. Not a big deal and I haven't seen it since.

I see you have a few waterfalls. Are they shear descents or are they by chance natural rock / concrete type? If the latter, and the gravel in the filter is relatively fine (like very coarse sand), that erosion would be the most likely source. Not a big deal, but worth a hairnet or skimmer sock in your skimmer to keep it from going through the pump. If it's regular gravel-sized gravel, I have no clue why they would put it in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.