First test

You can turn off the SWCG for a day and see what the FC drops to.

Please update your Signature with the information above.

I would also recommend going back and looking back at Marty's note about the TA test. I've never seen anyone in our area with a TA that high. The Edwards Aquifer water doesn't have a TA that high, so unless some major backing soda (or pool store alkalinity Up) was added, there may be an error.

I would also recommend going back and looking back at Marty's note about the TA test. I've never seen anyone in our area with a TA that high. The Edwards Aquifer water doesn't have a TA that high, so unless some major backing soda (or pool store alkalinity Up) was added, there may be an error.
Thanks, I'll measure the TA again and ask the guy that was out here what he added.

Ok maybe I screwed up the ch somehow yesterday cause it's back up today

I'm having some pump problems so I don't want to add the cya yet. I'd there anything else I should do in the meantime?

I can't figure out why my hardness is so high. I tested the tap water today and it was 75. Most be something with the pool or the pool builder put something in and didn't tell me. Should I look at lowering it?

Should I lower the TA?

The calcium was added as you have a Fiberglass pool. Either fill water or someone used a lot of cal hypo or just added straight calcium chloride.

According to your most recent test, the TA and CH are a bit elevated, but don't panic. Most importantly, control that pH! "IF", and I do mean if, the CH and TA numbers are accurate, controlling the pH is critical to preventing scale. 8.0 is too high right now. Lower it with muriatic acid to about 7.2 for today. Don't let it get over 7.5 if you can help it.

Your FC is fine, but the CYA is low for a salt pool. Are you using your SWG? I also noticed your salt level from a few days ago was high. You might want to confirm that level.

What pump problems are you having?

According to your most recent test, the TA and CH are a bit elevated, but don't panic. Most importantly, control that pH! "IF", and I do mean if, the CH and TA numbers are accurate, controlling the pH is critical to preventing scale. 8.0 is too high right now. Lower it with muriatic acid to about 7.2 for today. Don't let it get over 7.5 if you can help it.

Your FC is fine, but the CYA is low for a salt pool. Are you using your SWG? I also noticed your salt level from a few days ago was high. You might want to confirm that level.

What pump problems are you having?
So I was going to add some CYA, which I believe will also lower pH. I was thinking I should do that today, however, with the pump issue, I didn't want it to get another code and turn off while I had a bag of CYA in the skimmer. Should I hold off on CYA and add muriatic acid?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With regards to the pump, I had a code saying no water flow timeout flowsensor. I already called the installer. I checked for leaves in the pump and it had some. I also noticed small drips at the connection at the skimmer. So, I am not sure if it is pulling air in. It tripped the code at about the point when it switched from high flow to low. I cleaned everything and have it back on high with no problems. I'll see what happens at 6pm when it changes again.

So I was going to add some CYA, which I believe will also lower pH. I was thinking I should do that today, however, with the pump issue, I didn't want it to get another code and turn off while I had a bag of CYA in the skimmer. Should I hold off on CYA and add muriatic acid?
I figure I need another 4 pounds of stabilizer which should drop pH .8

Do 1 lb at a time in a sock in the skimmer. Over the week or so it takes to add, it will have a minimal effect on your pH.

Please notice what Marty said about the CYA and your pH. Yes, stabilizer is acidic, but not enough to make a big difference in your pH. You need muriatic acid (31.45% strength). Use the PoolMath to lower that pH to the lower 7s. Never add muriatic acid at the same time and location as bleach.

Well Crud, I guess I should have waited and read comments. I was in a hurry to get it added before I had to take my son to practice yesterday, so I added it all when I got home and didn't check back for comments until now.

I added just shy of 4 lbs in a sock in the skimmer.

If I understand what you are saying, when I add that much at once, it won't have the same affect as smaller quantities. I was expecting to raise CYA by about 43 and lower pH by about 0.8 based on Pool Math.

Am I OK to retest pH tonight and add muriatic acid as needed?

BTW, I turned off my pump schedule and left it on high and haven't had an issue with the pump tripping out again yet. Tonight after the stabilizer has been in for 24 hours, I'll turn the schedule back on and see what happens.

Test your pH and adjust, if necessary.
4 lbs of CYA is just a lot for a skimmer to manage using a sock. So smaller amounts tend to dissolve easier.

I checked it before I went to bed and there wasn't much left in the skimmer. I expect it would have been gone this morning since I had the pump on high all night.

I'll check pH when I get home tonight.

Thanks for all the guidance.

Ok I've just decide I'm trying to move to fast. I just realized my FC is back up above 10 again (13), so I'm panicking. I put in muriatic acid based on my pH being above 8 but now I'm wondering if it's actually above 8 since my FC is so high.

I'm not sure why my FC is so high again. My swcg was suppose to run at 70% for 8 hours (producing 1.7 FC), but I'm way higher then yesterday (went from 8.5 to 14). Is it possible to produce that much? Maybe it's actually running all the time, I had the pump on high for 24hrs to take care of the added conditioner.

Should I be scared about my pH going too low? Not much I can do about it until tomorrow

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.