Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all! Finally got my TF100 in and ran my first test. Results are:

pH 7.5
FC .5
CYA 20-30
TA 80
CH 175

Attempted to do a Chlorine drop test but the FC was so low that it never turned pink. pH was done on a meter and the visual test. The pool has been on tablet use until last week, only liquid chlorine from here on out. Also, the water looks really good right now with no visible algae.

According to the charts, I should probably bring my CYA up to 45, by adding some stabilizer in a sock. Then I'll need to bring my FC up by adding LC. As for the calcium hardness, its low, does that seem normal? I performed the CH test by using the instructions in the kit, which were different than the instructions on the video.

What would you do, in which order?

We round CYA up. If the dot disappears between 30 and 20 we call it 30. The scale is logarithmic, not linear and you cannot measure a value like 45. Just round up. So your CYA is 30.

Target FC for CYA 30 is 4 to 6. Shoot for 6 and raise your FC.

Then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and see if your water is really algae free.

Don't raise your CYA until you pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Once you get everything else within range you should work on raising your CH up around 250.

What is the pH, TA and CH of your fill water?

Another question I just thought of. Say I'm trying to bring my FC to 6, adding the correct amount of liquid chlorine according to pool math. When should I be retesting my FC after adding the chlorine?

We round CYA up. If the dot disappears between 30 and 20 we call it 30. The scale is logarithmic, not linear and you cannot measure a value like 45. Just round up. So your CYA is 30.

Target FC for CYA 30 is 4 to 6. Shoot for 6 and raise your FC.

Then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and see if your water is really algae free.

Don't raise your CYA until you pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Once you get everything else within range you should work on raising your CH up around 250.

What is the pH, TA and CH of your fill water?
My well water came in at:
pH 7.4
TA 150
CH 75

Performing chlorine loss test tonight

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Follow the FC/CYA Levels using the upper target limit for a few days. Then do another OCLT with your FC at upper target level to start.
Mr. Knauss, kind of a dumb question here. With FC level target ranges above 5, I’ll have to do the chlorine drop tests instead of using the OTO chamber to test my chlorine, correct? A lot of people do the drop test every day?

You should do the drop test whenever you want to know the level of your FC. The OTO test is simply to indicate the presence of chlorine. Over time, you should be able to tell if the FC is above or below 5 ppm with it, but not much else precision.

If your CYA is at or above 30 ppm, it is fine for this time of year.

The CH needs to be at or above 250 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.