First Test with TF-100... Can anyone help me?

Keep a good journal of your FC tests and where your SWG is set and work from that. Need more FC.........increase pump run time OR SWG%. It will be trial and error to start with. You will also have to adjust it for swimmer load and season changes. Your journal will help you in the seasons to come.

You need to keep or be able to get a hold of liquid chlorine/bleach for your pool. Your SWG is great at maintaining your FC BUT it is not so good for getting the FC up large amounts. That is where the liquid chlorine will come into play.

Kim:kim:

Ses,

I switched to SWG a few months ago after years of liquid bleach. Found Pool Math to be very accurate in predicting ppm added when setting pump run time and % power. What is the model number on your SWG? You select this in Pool Math and it does the rest. You should be able to estimate this from past usage but if you're not sure 2 ppm a good guess this time of year. If your SWG is sized per TFP recommendation of at least 2x your pool size you'll be able to run less than 50% and adjust from there. Start a little on the high side and make small changes every other day. It won't take long and you'll find the sweet spot for your pool. Each pool is a little different. Now I've found the spot where it just swings +/- 1 ppm off my target and I never have to do anything. I'm guessing in the fall I'll reduce the power 5% or so. You don't give your pump details so I'm assuming you don't have a VS pump. If you have one of these it opens up more options. Contrary to a lot of pool store advice pump run-time is not determined by number of "turns". See this link: Determining Pump Run Time for further advice.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thank you everyone!
Starting to feel overwhelmed.... o_O
I downloaded the pool math app. I entered my pool information. Is there anywhere I can read about how to use it?? I am not sure if the "target" amounts that are noted in the "overview" page are for MY pool or just in general (or is that both?).
I also cannot figure where the app can determine the SWG settings for FC. Will the app save everything (like as the log recommended by Kim above...or that info wouldn't be part of it?)

My FC yesterday evening was 5.5 and I had had the SWG at 75% for basically 24hr at that point. Just a few swimmers and pool cover closed when not swimming.

I feel like I've read all the links and I understand the basics but it's overwhelming when trying to put it into practice I guess.... I'm sorry for all these questions and also feel like I'll have a lot more ...ugh!

Thank you, thank you!!

I also don't know how to determine the SWG size? I know it's Hayward AquaRite. I feel super dumb! And it's not a variable speed pump - I do know that. ..lol How do I denote that so I can change my signature? just "single speed"? ohhhhh so clueless....... I didn't have choices on equipment with my pool builder - he just told me what I was getting/needed

Ses,

No problem...we're here to answer any questions and make this simple for you. We all started right where you are. there are no dumb questions.

Check to see on your saltwater cell or on the controller or on the bill for your pool or your warranty receipt what the model number is. You can then set that up along with the other information in the settings menu of the pool app.

Yes, just enter single speed on the pump. most of your pool equipment will have a model number on a nameplate that is mounted or printed somewhere on it. If you can't see it because it is located in a difficult spot try to take a picture with your phone. Usually this works.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Your salt cell will have a model number like T 9 or T 11 or similar. From this Pool Math can tell how much chlorine it produces at 100% power.

the "target" amounts that are noted in the "overview" page are for MY pool or just in general (or is that both?).
It is suggestion for you to work from. Notice they all have ranges. Each pool and surrounding area is so different that each pool will have different needs. We will help you dial in YOUR pool's needs so your pool is truly Trouble Free!
Will the app save everything (like as the log recommended by Kim above...or that info wouldn't be part of it?)
If you "subscribe" aka pay for the app it will save your logs AND you can set it up to share your results here.

Me? I am old so use a small notebook to track my tests and such :roll: Do what works for you!

Size of SWG-go out and write everything down that you can see on it or take a pic showing all of the info. We can help you figure it out.

Did we hit all of those questions/concerns? (I always try to go back and read but still worry I miss something so bring it back up if we miss something!)

Keep the questions coming!! You are fun to help as you are trying and learning!! :hug:

Me again! I think I'm moving in the right direction with knowing how to test and I've subscribed and logged with the app. My FC today was 10.5 which is crazy higher so I'm clueless. Not much swimming and covered and CYA was added....??? I'll leave the cover off tomorrow and I dialed back the SWG.

The SWG is t-15 I know. Does that help in figuring out which one it is? I'm going to go look and take pictures too... For the life of me I cannot figure out the app and how/where it could help me determine what percentage to set the SWG at??? For now I'm just recording what dial percentage I had it at and what the FC is. This will be helpful I know!

When your pool is covered with an automatic safety cover you will use a lot less chlorine than when it is open. If you have it closed a lot of the time you will need to figure out the right % to run it at to keep the FC from going too high.

For example, I run my SWCG at 25-30% when covered, and 50%-60% when open. During times of more heavy use (before or after a party), I can turn it up a bit beyond that if I like. Yesterday I just bumped the FC value back up with a quick liquid chlorine addition for faster results and less wear on the SWCG cell.

As an aside, having a cover on the pool most of the time means that you don't have to try to get the CYA up to the higher TFP values - a lower CYA level can work just fine for that condition. If you already have the CYA at the TFP recommended levels then you are still perfectly fine. Those higher CYA values are there to allow the SWCG to run a little less, since the FC is buffered better and protected from breakdown the suns UV. With your cover you don't fight that as much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok here are pictures of pump and SWG.... hope this helps you help me LOL
View attachment 111204View attachment 111205View attachment 111204View attachment 111205

Ses,

It does indeed. Your cell produces 1.4 lb per day running 24 hrs per day. When I put this information into Pool Math and set it at 75% running 8 hrs per day it shows you are adding 1.9 ppm FC per day. Don't know if you're running 8 hrs per day. 1.9 ppm is probably too much if you're covering the pool a lot. You can do this yourself by downloading Pool Math. Set the pool size and other information. Then go to "effects of adding" in the drop down menu at top left. Make sure your pool size is correct then select SWG as the chemical added. Select Hayward Aqua rite T-15 as the cell. Then you can set % power and vary run time to get the amount of chlorine added in ppm. If you want me to check different conditions 'till you get the hang of this just let me know. I'm very happy to help. I'm not sure how much the cover affects your chlorine consumption but seems like it would reduce. I would try to reduce %power no more than 10% at a time then test your FC each day at the same time for 3 days. Once it appears to stabilize you can make another adjustment.

I hope this helps and please keep us posted. If there's anything that doesn't make sense please don't hesitate to ask. You'll get this lined out soon.

Chris

Reactions: kimkats
Ok so I tested everything again. I’m not sure what level to shoot for CYA since I don’t need it as high as SWG level recommended with the cover - any suggestion. These are my results so everything seems ok (I think?) and the water is clear. Am I good?? Not sure what I need to do other than keep testing and adjust if things get “off”? I’m still tweaking the SWG but that will take time to figure out.

FC 6
CC 1 (this test was confusing because I think it was nearly clear at 1 drop - my kids were fighting saying it was clear)
pH 7.5
TA 90
CYA 35

Any thoughts on these numbers?

All of those numbers look awesome! The only thing I would do is call your CYA 40 as we round it up to keep things easier and safer for the amount of FC.

Your cover is playing a big part in your numbers and since things look good I would keep on with what it workright now! GOOD JOB!!! :hug:

Your numbers look great!

You can get slightly elevated CC if you test right after opening the cover, or if the pool has been covered for an extended period of time. The cover holds the chloramines in, so it is a good idea to open it occasionally, even if you aren't swimming, to let the CC (combined chlorine/chloramines) off gas. I open mine for a few hours once a week if we have not been swimming - some people open theirs every day or two for 15-30 minutes.

Thanks for that info about the cover! I tested again yesterday and the CC was back to .5 which I believe is ok? The pH was up a little and I used the Clorox pH down which I've since realized is not the best idea with SWG (I happened to have it here so I used it and THEN looked into it...oops!). The bottle says on it that it's SWG safe but I'm not believing that and won't use it again! I did have a major issue earlier this week where I accidentally forgot to open the valves into the pump and ran the pool for a day!!! OMG! This pool is going to put me in the ground!!!! I'm such an IDIOT....

Anyway, what causes the pH to go up?? It was the same, the same, the same....then pump issue and pool was cloudy and the pH was up ...so something to do with that?

Aeration and time will drive up the pH. In most pools people use pucks, which are really acidic, and can somewhat balance the pH. Since we don't because pucks drive CYA up too, we have to add acid now and then to bring the pH back down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.