First Test with TF-100... Can anyone help me?

Ses76

Jul 13, 2017
MA
Hi there!

So this is our second summer with our pool and last summer/early this summer I've run to pool store and dumped in all kinds of things $$$. The pool will sometimes go cloudy and I run up there and dump more things in. It's exhausting. I just want to have a clear pool and know how to manage it (like what to do before/during/after a lot of swimmers use the pool - this is my biggest issue after a party the pool get eh)
Here are my first set of results.... Hopefully my signature works too!

FC 6.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 350 (not sure I even needed this with FG pool)
CYA top of vial (!!)
Temp 84

Main concerns:
I guess the CYA is very low? I use the autocoder a lot so not sure what my target should be?
I'm not sure how to manage things with the SWG... I have my pump running 8hr/d with 75% right now (for about a week after 4th of july messed pool up)

I cannot figure out what to put for targets in pool math...Do I filling all the boxes or just some?
Thanks for HELP!

~Susan

How does the pool look now? Can you see things on the bottom of the deepest part as clearly as stuff near the surface? Any visible algae, alive or dead?

Pool looks gorgeous...crystal clear. And I hope, hope, hope to keep it this way!
So I guess it’s ok to keep the SWG at 75%? And I need the CYA higher but don’t know how to figure how much to add with the pool math.

Thank you!!!

If your pool is clear, and you plan to use the SWG right away, get your CYA to 60-70 to start and the salt to where the generator wants it to be. Chlorine target is 4-5 with a SWG at 60-70 so you’re good there. Test the FC after stabilizer is in and see if it’s now too much (maybe you were losing some to the sun that you won’t be any longer).

Susan,

Your CYA is close to zero. To get to 70 you'll need a total of 12.8 lb. of solid CYA. You can buy it cheap at most big box store. Start with 5 lb in a pair of ladies stockings or sock hung in the skimmer. Squeeze the sock a couple time a day.

Chris

Susan,

Also read the label to be sure it is 100% cyanuric acid on the label. Any brand will work that conforms to this. It's often labeled Stabilizer.

Chris

Susan,

Forgot to say Welcome to TFP! We are here with experts on everything pool. We sell absolutely nothing so you can be assured you'll never get conflicted advice. We have your back on everything from pool chemistry to pool equipment and even poo construction plus everything in between. Pool Math will set the targets for you. Just go to the settings menu and input your pool size, chlorination method (swg) and the rest. Then open up the menu (top left drop down) and select "effects of adding". Select CYA and you can see how much you move with 1 lb then ratio it up for the desired ppm level. Look in pool school for the FC/CYA chart. This will tell you your target for any CYA level.

Looks to me that you're on the right track. I'll also ask and expert or two to weigh in on the cloudiness and any other advice they may have.. @kimkats @Texas Splash.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Susan! HI and welcome!!! You are going to love it here once you get over the learning curve! You are so far ahead of the game just having the test kit!! WELL DONE!!!

It seems as if you are a little unsure how to use Pool Math.PoolMath Are you using the App or the webpage for Pool Math? Take it slow and easy. We can/will walk you through it. Make sure you put in your gals of your pool each time if it does not save it. I always forget to set mine back to MY pool size after I use it to help someone else with their pool :roll: LOL Let me know what is causing you some concern and I will help you deal with it.

I am also going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners and people new to TFP.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now I want you to PROMISE me you will ask any and all questions you have!!! I don't care how small it is. If you don't know the answer you need to ask the question! :hug:

Oh and for what to do before and after you have a large group of swimmers........About 30 mins or so before the party is set to start push your FC to just below SLAM level for your CYA at the moment. FC/CYA Levels Use this chart for reference. Then once the last person gets out of the pool push the FC up to SLAM level and leave the pump running over night.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: setsailsoon
Susan! HI and welcome!!! You are going to love it here once you get over the learning curve! You are so far ahead of the game just have the test kit!! WELL DONE!!!

It seems as if you are a little unsure how to use Pool Math.PoolMath Are you using the App or the webpage for Pool Math? Take it slow and easy. We can/will walk you through it. Make sure you put in your gals of your pool each time if it does not save it. I always forget to set mine back to MY pool size after I use it to help someone else with their pool :roll: LOL Let me know what is causing you some concern and I will help you deal with it.

I am also going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners and people new to TFP.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now I want you to PROMISE me you will ask any and all questions you have!!! I don't care how small it is. If you don't know the answer you need to ask the question! :hug:

Oh and for what to do before and after you have a large group of swimmers........About 30 mins or so before the party is set to start push your FC to just below SLAM level for your CYA at the moment. FC/CYA Levels Use this chart for reference. Then once the last person gets out of the pool push the FC up to SLAM level and leave the pump running over night.

Kim:kim:
Thanks Kim!

Oh my goodness you all are wonderful! I will surely be asking a lot of questions... I hope this winds up being easier than I imagined! I'm adding the CYA since yesterday in the sock... I'm on sock #2 of three I believe. How long do I wait before checking the level again?
I feel like I've been running my pump 24/7 this summer with all of the things I've added to this pool from the pool store. I hope after this CYA level gets sorted that I'll be able to keep it at the 8hr/d. I have no idea how much it costs to run the pump but between that and the A/C my electric bill is $$$$ :oops:

Thanks again to everyone who replied. So very appreciate it!

Once all CYA is dissolved, wait 48 hours to test the level. But assume it is all in the water for your FC levels.

Your pump uses about 1kwH. So 24 kw per day, 720 kw per month. Cost depends on how much you pay per kwH.

Oh wow... awesome info. Thank you. So I run the filter those 48hr after it's dissolved as well?? Should I do any testing at all in the interim or I'm ok until after the 48hr? Pool still looks great...
Thanks again!

You do not have to run the pump 24/7 for the CYA.

You must test FC each day and add the needed amount of liquid chlorine to maintain your FC in the target range based on your expected CYA levels.

Reactions: IceShadow
Oh! Ok... I'll be doing that later today. Is it possible the level will be ok? Or do you think I'll definitely need the liquid chlorine? I've had the SWG going so I'm curious your thoughts on that... I'll post my results later for sure.

oh jeez.. Nope. I just measured free chlorine once in my life yesterday. I'll do it again later today. I just have it set at 75% because that seemed to minimize cloudiness issues (not eliminate). I can't imagine how I'll determine what to set it at to generate the proper amount but I guess trial and error will be the trick. I also should likely be measuring the FC at the same time each day I'm guessing..... I'm going to figure this all out ! lol

The Poolmath app has an easy method to determine %setting and pump run time to generate a FC level each day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.