LifeTime Supporter
Jul 22, 2010
Advance, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After receiving wrong data (inconsistent and impossible I think) from the local pool store and not having a reputable test kit, I have my first test results with the TF-100 as follows:

FC: 4
CC: 0
TC: 4
pH: ~6.8 (maybe less!)
T/A: 150
CH: 80-90 (a little subjective I'd say)
CYA: less than 20 (still slightly visible after filling completely)
Temp: 78 deg. F

So, is that FC too high or okay?
I know my pH has to come up, so gonna go work on that now.
TA is a little high, but not appreciably...leave it alone for now?
CH seems a little low, but not appreciably...leave it alone for now too?

TIA!

Since my TA is a bit high and pH is low, best to just aerate to raise pH then? I have plenty of Soda Ash, but that will raise my TA by 60 (according to TPC). Since my pH is already low, assumption is to just aerate, right? How long, approx, will it take to raise the pH if aerating? We have a big pool party planned for Saturday (weather permitting, dang-it) so what would you suggest? FYI, I am currently using Trichlor 3" tabs so CYA should start to rise. Since we have the party planned, would it be okay to just leave the chlorine on the high side to account for the anticipated high bather load?

You should raise your pH with borax. Since you're using trichlor tabs, the pH will not go up (at least not very quickly). They are very acidic. Borax will not raise your TA as much as soda ash, but since you're using trichlor I wouldn't worry about it at all.

How long have you been using tablets? Your CYA is pretty low to have been using them for any real length of time.

Since my TA is on the high side, don't I need to worry about that too, even with the Borax? I also have Muriatic Acid, but of course that will lower the pH too. Sounds like the best long-term solution is to aerate for raising pH, but that may take too long to get it up by Saturday.

FYI, I do plan to move over the the BBB method as much as possible when I run out of the existing chlorine tabs (I also have 40 lbs of granular...don't ask why).

Again, thanks for the feedback!

There are 2 situations where you should be concerned about TA: constantly rising pH (annoying), and high CH+TA+pH (scaling). You don't have either, so your TA doesn't really matter. Once you're done with the trichlor, if your pH starts to rise annoyingly fast, then you could intentionally lower it.

I still vote for borax; I don't think aeration will cut it when you're still on a trichlor diet.

Use Borax to get your pH up around 7.5. Disregard TA for now.

As MITS said, you will probably have to use borax again because the pucks drive the pH down.

It will take you the rest of the season to get CYA up to an appreciable level (50 or so) using just pucks. That's okay, as long as you realize you will consume more FC than if you added CYA seperately.

I would try to keep the FC level around where you are....4ppm. You are losing a lot to the sun and you never want to be at zero.

Anticipating the high bather load is VERY smart. You are rapidly becoming an accomplished BBB'r. :lol: :lol:

Clearly, I must have misread the pH reading this morning. After using The Pool Calculator, it said I needed approx 8 boxes or Borax (634 oz.). I put in 4 boxes, mixing about 1/2 box per 5 gallons of pool water, then dumping mostly in the deep end. We then waited a while, then were in the pool for a couple hours. I re-tested the pH a few minutes ago and to my surprise, it read 8.2...twice! Not sure what the heck happened, so I have now added 2 qts of Muriatic Acid to bring the pH down. I hate to alter the water chemistry this much all in the same day, but I must have hosed the first pH reading somehow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Miscalculations happen all the time....no big deal. When you're fairly new, it's not a bad idea to check your dosages by asking here on the forum. YOu'll get quick confirmation of any error (or correctness)

As an aside, I put Borax (and all powders) thru the skimmer. Poured slowly, they are quickly introduced into the system and there's no need to pre-mix or worry about stuff settling to the pool floor.

ChiknNutz said:
After receiving wrong data (inconsistent and impossible I think) from the local pool store and not having a reputable test kit, I have my first test results with the TF-100 as follows:

FC: 4
CC: 0
TC: 4
pH: ~6.8 (maybe less!)
T/A: 150
CH: 80-90 (a little subjective I'd say)
CYA: less than 20 (still slightly visible after filling completely)
Temp: 78 deg. F

So, is that FC too high or okay?
I know my pH has to come up, so gonna go work on that now.
TA is a little high, but not appreciably...leave it alone for now?
CH seems a little low, but not appreciably...leave it alone for now too?

TIA!

just curious, with those numbers, how does the water feel? Do your eyes burn? is your hair stiff when you get out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.