First test results

May 21, 2017
Brentwood
We had out pool installed last fall so this is my first season of getting this all figured out.

After going to the pool store to get my tests done and buy the recommended chemicals I quickly realized I needed to find a better way to manage the pool if I wanted to have enough money to feed my kids also!

So I stumbled across this website last weekend and am exited to hopefully get this figured out!

I just received my TFT-100 kit and ran my first set of tests.

Here are the results:
FC 1
CC 1
CH 300
TA 100
CYA 30

I also purchased the Salt water test kit and its results where 2800

Not sure of the purpose of the "Safety Kit" that is part of the TFT-100, but I went ahead and ran those tests also.
Total Chlorine 2
pH 7.5

A couple of days ago before my kit arrive I noticed that my pool was starting to turn a bit cloudy so put some shock in to keep from from getting to out of control.

This morning when I ran the test the pool still is not very clear.

My pump and chlorinator have been running all week so I am not sure what it going on.

Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions.

Hi there and welcome to TFP

My suggestion is that you follow the SLAM process as it sounds like the beginning of an algae bloom and your FC is indeed low, also indicative that something is consuming your chlorine and the SWG isn't keeping up. Link here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

The amount of FC you need in the pool both for that process and daily maintenance is dependent upon your CYA ppm. See this chart. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Use plain old unscented bleach or pool liquid chlorine from the store to chlorinate for SLAM. And the poolmath link at the top of the page will tell you how much of what you need.

Post more questions as you have them. :)

"Not sure of the purpose of the "Safety Kit" that is part of the TFT-100, but I went ahead and ran those tests also.
Total Chlorine 2
pH 7.5"

Hey! You are referring to the K-1000 kit in your TF-100. I use the Cl side almost daily as a quick indicator as to my CL level. And, the other side of the comparator is used for pH testing. Aimee has you covered on everything else.

Sounds good, I will get started with the SLAM.

I watched the video and have read through the instructions and before I start dumping stuff in my pool just wanted to double check on what I am going.l

So based on my results from this morning and looking at the chart and calulater here is what I am thinking.
1) My CYA needs to be at either at 70 or 80 and currently is at 30
2) Based on that my Shock FC needs to get to 28 and its currently at 1
3) So then going to the calculator I need to add about 15 jugs of chlorine.
4) My pH level is in range so I should be good to go

That sound right? Do I dump it all in at once? Seems like a lot!

Then once I add the chlorine, I keep testing every few hours and add more chlorine until the FC level hits my shock number (28)?

Then once I hit the FC shock level test CC and OCLT and make sure they are good.

I have interpreted it correctly?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I that is what I was referring to. So should I just use the k-1000 tests daily and then run the full tests weekly (once I get everything correct).?

Nope nope nope. 30 CYA is ideal for the SLAM Process. Leave it right where it is and shock level is 12 FC. I suggest adding acid to lower pH to 7.2 now, since you won't be testing it again until the SLAM Process is done.

When the SLAM Process has passed all three tests simultaneously, then you can raise CYA and fine tune everything else (including salt if you backwashed a bunch)

Your signature lists pool size as 25,000 gallons, which if going from FC 1 to 12 I'm getting a different answer. Did you get the gallons in there, set the fc current and goal and then hit calculate?

- - - Updated - - -

25kfc.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is from another post I made, but everything in circles can be changed, just to clarify.
attachment.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It will be listed on the bottle, really just have to check the % and if you're not somewhere that sells lots of bottles each day, you should check the date too. Bleach weakens swiftly in sun, heat, and over the months. Store in cool, dark place when possible until use. Some pool stores/hardware stores sell 10% or 12.5% "liquid sanitizer/shock/chlorine" which is actually just stronger bleach. Fancy right? Again, just because a bottle says #% doesn't mean it is STILL #%. Check that date if you're not confidant. I've occasionally had great luck in the pool section of wally world where they sometimes have a 10% 128oz jug, instead of the 8.25% 121oz bleach, and it sometimes even costs less, but again, check date, and price. You can never go wrong with GV 8.25% because it is so fresh and reasonably priced. If you're extra thrifty or curious, this thread of 2017 bleach prices. Sometimes you get luck with a great pool store or retailer that does deals on good, fresh stuff.

It will be listed on the bottle, really just have to check the % and if you're not somewhere that sells lots of bottles each day, you should check the date too. Bleach weakens swiftly in sun, heat, and over the months. Store in cool, dark place when possible until use. Some pool stores/hardware stores sell 10% or 12.5% "liquid sanitizer/shock/chlorine" which is actually just stronger bleach. Fancy right? Again, just because a bottle says #% doesn't mean it is STILL #%. Check that date if you're not confidant. I've occasionally had great luck in the pool section of wally world where they sometimes have a 10% 128oz jug, instead of the 8.25% 121oz bleach, and it sometimes even costs less, but again, check date, and price. You can never go wrong with GV 8.25% because it is so fresh and reasonably priced. If you're extra thrifty or curious, this thread of 2017 bleach prices. Sometimes you get luck with a great pool store or retailer that does deals on good, fresh stuff.
Thanks for the info. Sticking with the GV seems easiest for me

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.