First Test Results- Where to go from here

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What does your water look like?
How are you chlorinating?

CYA is a little high
FC is a little high
CC should ideally be 0, so appears you may have something in the water
pH is low

Well, that explains why your CYA is so high and your pH is so low. At a minimum, you have to stop using Trichlor tablets. Better yet would be stop using tablets and replace half your water to get your CYA down so you can have more reasonable FC levels ... see the FC/CYA Levels.
There is no need for a blind weekly "shock" either if you maintain the correct FC levels.

Have you taken a look at Pool School? Start with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And check out these:

I have gone through the pool chemistry and I had a feeling the CYA was going to be an issue. This is only our second summer with the pool, so I'm still learning. Would leaving it uncovered help? We only had it uncovered for a couple of hours yesterday and not at all today. Replacing half of our water is not really realistic for us since we have a well and it has REALLY high iron content. I only emptied and refilled about 4" of water at the start of this year after the winter. I had to get some "pool magnet" from the pool store to remove the iron. I didn't know if there is another way to lower the iron without it. All of that being said water isn't cheap to have delivered, so half the pool would be a major cost to us. I'll check out the videos and stop chlorinating until thing are more under control.

If the iron is oxidized and making the water look yellow, you can usually just filter it out.

Leaving the cover off will not lower your CYA, but it will help lower the FC.
You should still stop using tablets and then you can just follow the FC/CYA Levels with 80ppm as your CYA. This means that you have to use liquid chlorine and keep the FC above 6ppm at all times. Meaning you likely need to target 9-10ppm every day.

Also note that when the FC > 10ppm, the pH test reads artificially high, so your pH might be VERY low

So the ONLY thing to do is empty and refill? The water has been so clear this year, but obviously I've been achieving that the wrong way. Do you think I could hold off until we close for the fall and just maintain things through the rest of this season? What's the best way to start reigning in these FC numbers?

That is the only way to lower the CYA.
But it seems that you keep missing me pointing out that you can just maintain the correct FC levels for your current CYA ... IF ... you stop using tablets.

At this point you just need to remove the tablets and let the sun lower the FC level.
Once it gets down to 6-7ppm, use liquid to raise it back up to 9-10ppm (this is required daily).

Also once the FC gets below 10ppm, you need to retest pH and likely raise it up with borax or get a LOT of aeration going on ... get in the pool and kick your legs for a few hours every day :mrgreen:

I haven't missed it, I just keep dwelling on the whole empty and refill thing. I don't have any tablets in now. The last one I put in was gone on Saturday.

I assume the solar cover needs to come off as well? I hate to lose all the heat we've built up the past week, but I'm willing to do what it takes. How quickly can I expect it to come down? I think we are supposed to get some rain this week, is that going to mess with everything? How will I know how much liquid bleach to add? I will probably use the 6% from Aldi.

I appreciate your responses to everything. Like I said I'm still fairly new to the pol scene.

Your pool is perfectly safe to swim in now. It is safe to swim up to the shock level for your cya which is much higher than your current chlorine level. Having the cover off during the day is not going to make you lose very much heat at all. A solar cover really just retains Heat by preventing evaporation which is most detrimental in the night.

Use PoolMath to calculate how much bleach you will need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the reassurance. I will keep the tablets out and test my water daily. Should I just test the FC for now or run the full range of tests? I'll pull the cover off in the morning tomorrow and see where I am in the evening. I really can't thank you enough for all your help on this.

Really no need to test anything besides the FC and CC at this point.

I am worried about your pH though. I would suggest adding enough borax to raise it to about 7.5. You just can't test to confirm until the FC drops below 10.

Good news, I think. I left the cover off all day and turned the eyeball upwards to start aerating the pool. Here were the number I tested this evening.

FC-14
CC-1
TA-80
The pH looked like it was right at 6.8, but based on our previous conversations it seems like the pH is actually lower than what is showing up.

I will try to pick up some Borax tomorrow to add.

I did feel a little more comfortable doing the tests this time so hopefully that means they are a little more accurate. The one bad thing was, I ran the CYA test again and it seemed like the dot disappeared at 90. It was getting dark and cloudy, so that may have been part of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.