First test: New mini pebble start up...need help for low CH

Feb 16, 2015
Valencia, CA
Hi all...just am finishing my renovation and got my Midnight Blue Stonescapes Mini Pebble just done on Friday. They came back and did acid wash yesterday am and we filled the pool finishing at 6pm yesterday. Have had my filter on since then and just did my first test. Pool is 15,000 gallons and we are in a very hot part of Southern California. Here are my initial test results:

.4 FC
.4 CC
over 8.0 ph (7 drops for acid demand test to get to 7.5ph)
110 TA
110 CH
0 CYA

Per Pool Math, I added 1 gallon 10% chlorine, 60 oz. 14.5% muriatic acid and just put 4 lb of CYA in 2 socks, 1 in skimmer and 1 in front of pool return.

Other than the obvious of getting the CYA up and pH down and some chlorine in pool, it seems like my TA looks decent, but my CH is very low. Do you recommend doing anything for it now, as Pool Math says to add 333oz of Calcium Chloride, or just wait to dial in the other measurements and go from there?

Any advice will be appreciated...and can't tell you how much I love the Speed Stir!!! Makes it so much easier to do the tests.

Just took another round of tests and FC up to 1.5, pH looks close to 8.0 with only 2 drops for acid demand to 7.5 range. TA and CH remained same at 110 ppm each and CYA still at zero as it will take a while to dissolve and register with the sock method. I added 16oz of acid so hoping it will be finally in the 7.x range when I test in the morning. I also just added 4 lb of CA increaser as I am very worried about my super low number.

You might have to "fight" with your PH.

When you get home test the PH right away. Add what Pool Math tells you to add to get the PH down to 7.8. Let the pump run for about 15 mins on high. Test again! IF the PH is not at 7.8 dose again. Keep doing this until you get a 7.8 reading. Some times it gets over what you can test so you have to fight it to get it back down.

Good job on adding the CA increaser!

It really looks like you have a good handle on your pool's needs! NICE!

Kim:kim:

So couple tests this morning and afternoon.

Morning results same as yesterday but CH up to 150 with the 4 lbs added. I added 128 oz 10% chlorine and 60 oz 14.5 % muriatic acid along with another 4 lb CA. CYA still dissolving and not registering

Afternoon test shows 4.5 FC, 8.0 pH and 200 CH so getting better. Added another 60oz of Muriatic and 60oz of chlorine as well. Will test in a few more hours and add acid if needed. Also going to purchase more Ca increaser to get level closer to 250-300

Finally seems pretty close to being dialed in but have a question about CH still...

Fc 1.6 (haven't added since yesterday)
pH 7.6
TA 95
CH 210
CYA 40 (Finally!!!!)

So questions are what target CH should I shoot for? 250? 300? 350?
Is 7.6 a good pH or should I go a bit lower to 7.4?

Also going to wait to add any more CYA as I assume the number will maybe go up if some is still going through filter.

Sunny hot SoCal pool so aiming for 50 cya and will be going SWG so will bring it up after 30 days when I start up the salt.

Thanks again for all the good info and help on here!

Have you played with Pool Math looking at the CSI part? Go take peek at that and plug in some numbers and see what they do for you.

I don't see your pool size as far as gallons so cannot do it for you. Let me know what you figure out after messing around with Pool Math.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.