Aug 30, 2019
Westchester, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

Just got my Taylor k2006 and did my first test that wasn't by a pool store. I am going to close my pool Sunday so just wanted to see where I am at and if I need anything to add from this test. Gunite pool as fyi in westchester, my.
FC: 11.2
CC: 0
pH: 7.7
TA: 80
CH: 470
CYA: 130-140 (unreadable on the test line so an estimate)

Cya is a bit high but from what I'm reading the FC being that high is ok?
CH may be high as well, but perhaps from the gunite siding?

Is this ok and will I be safe to close at these levels or should I ride/lower....still new at this so apologies!

Pool guy would use 3 chlorine tabs per week but I cut that down to 2 when I took over two weeks ago...still too much I think
2 is too much also. You're way high with the cya which this increases. Use liquid chlorine only. Let the professionals chime in here. The PH may not be accurate with FC 11.5. You most likely need to drain down some water for fresh fill. It's almost time to close. Not sure but it can probably wail to next season.

Hi all,

Just got my Taylor k2006 and did my first test that wasn't by a pool store. I am going to close my pool Sunday so just wanted to see where I am at and if I need anything to add from this test. Gunite pool as fyi in westchester, my.
FC: 11.2
CC: 0
pH: 7.7
TA: 80
CH: 470
CYA: 130-140 (unreadable on the test line so an estimate)

We need to get a better read on your actual CYA level. For CYA 100+ your FC may be low. We use the FC/CYA Levels to determine the target FC for a CYA level.

Follow Step 8 in

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.

We need to get a better read on your actual CYA level. For CYA 100+ your FC may be low. We use the FC/CYA Levels to determine the target FC for a CYA level.

Follow Step 8 in

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.
Thanks for this, I will do it later today and give you you results.

In general, is cya that high bad to close? Should I shock still? The water itself is Crystal clear and in the Northeast water will be cold all winter. Just trying to prioritize what I need to do.

Thanks again!

Thanks ajw, really appreciate it, i'll take a look through that.

Would i even need to shock since my FC is high as it is?

First of all, we don't shock pools.

We raise the FC level up the SLAM FC level indicated by the FC/CYA Levels. For CYA 100 that is a FC of 39, FC 40% of CYA. And your CYA may be higher then 100.

It's up to you how much insurance you want on a clear opening in the Spring. You can add Polyquat 60 from where your FC is or you can raise FC to whatever SLAM FC is for your CYA then let it drift down to half value before adding the Polyquat 60.

I suggest during the winter you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and our Pool School.

Yes it’s fine to close it now. Circulate a quart or even two of poly quart 60 a day or two before. In the spring the rain water or snow will have diluted your cya but you need to know what it is then and decide of you want to do a partial drain refill to get it back to 30 if you are going to continue to use pucks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Follow Step 8 in

3. Shake briefly to mix.
I tested this evening and it was 120 with this method

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.