First SLAM paused, light removal question

Aaron B

Jul 26, 2019
Austin
SLAMed for two days, both nights failed OCLT within 4-6. Pool water has been and continues to be very clear. I am considering pausing the SLAM (after perusing others in forum with similar issues) to take apart the pool light, ladder, and the cartridge filter and see if there's any growth there before I continue. Is this algae-search recommended or should I simply continue SLAM and wait to see after a few more days?

Bleach is hard to find these days, so I have been using 73% cal-hypo leftover from last summer (before I read about the suggestions of liquid bleach) to use it up and 'save' my liquid bleach for when the SLAM is done. I am not too concerned about the CH b/c it's so low, but I would like to hear if I need to stop using the cal-hypo now.
My readings just now:
FC=17
CYA=40-ish
PH=7.6
TA=70
CH=75
FYI, last night FC=21, the night before FC=22 and the following morning FC=16.

The pool has two round grills on the bottom, I don't know what they are. Should I take those out to clean/inspect?
The ladder appears to be cemented into the concrete by the pool, I may not be able to remove it.
I am freaked out to remove the light, but y'all make it look easy so I am giving it a try, I've attached a photo for any suggestions on how to remove it safely.
The pool is consistently floating with roly-polys and bird poop; could this be affecting the FC?
I have scrubbed the walls, ladder, about twice per day for the last 3 days. The owner just replaced the cartridge filter before he moved out. I added a skimmer sock yesterday.

Is there anything else I should do that I am missing?
FYI: Y'all are a huge help in educating me on pool care; my husband is impressed which is points for me!

Attachments

• IMG_5121.jpeg
    IMG_5121.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5122.jpeg
    IMG_5122.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 13
The SLAM Process can take a week or two or more. It does not clear algae in 2 days. Keep the SLAM Process going.

The two grills at the bottom are inlets for the main drain. The two are tied together to prevent suction entrapment.

I would not touch the light yet given your rental situation. It is sometimes easy to remove an old light and hard to get it back in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.