North Las Vegas Nevada
Cl - out of range, pH 8.2
FC 10.5 CC 1.0
TA 210
CH 1000
CYA 100
pH meter result 7.98

Entered number into PoolMath. Recommendation:
- to lower pH: add 111 oz of 14.5 muriatic acid. Can I add this all at once? Directly into the pool or into the skimmer basket?
- to lower TA: reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid, then aerate to increase pH to 70. How do I aerate? Running the waterfall?
- to lower CH and CYA: partially empty pool (57%) and add new water. Since the last time I researched this, I saw there are some companies that will pump and properly dispose of poolwater. I saw on this site that process this is not recommended until temps are 85F and below, so I will have to wait with that until then.

We just received a shipment of muriatic acid called acidblue that we ordered online before we came upon this site and learned to avoid pool chemiclas with blue in the name. Can we use it and never buy it again, or should we use it to clean the driveway and buy a different product for the pool?

Hey Northtown! :wave: Old Rancho grad here. Lived on Hickey street. Small world huh? Anyways, first order of business is usually lower the CYA, and in this case CH as well. Problem is the Vegas Valley sun. You don't want the plaster exposed to the sun for very long. A very quick overnight exchange or simultaneous drain & refill would be required. It would be best to address that first before adding chemicals that will just go out to the street. See the link below and let us know if you feel any of those draining options would work for you.

Reactions: Christiane
Thank you, Rancho Grad! I was working at the College of Southern Nevada until I retired at the end of 2020.

We are not connected to public sewer (septic tank). I really like the idea of the simultaneous drain and refill, but I doubt a commercial company would do that at night. Due to the severe water shortage (have you seen pictures of Lake Mead - so sad) running pool water into the street is highly fined. We feel like being between a rock and a hard place....

have you seen pictures of Lake Mead - so sad
Yes. I follow a few Vegas FB groups and it's very sad indeed. :(

Since you are stuck right now with water restrictions, you should consider doing the following:
1. To compensate for the high CH, be sure to maintain a lower pH and TA. "Try" to keep the pH at 7.5 or below with muriatic acid and the TA around 50-60. That may help to reduce further development of scale until you are able to exchange some water.

2. For the CYA, it's possible it's high than 100. In any case, be sure to maintain a higher FC level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. That chart is key to avoiding cloudiness/algae. You can see how the FC must increase with the CYA to maintain what we call a healthy ratio of about 7.5% between the two.

Maybe watch for some late summer monsoons to blow through and lower the water a little in advance if you can. You're in sort of a tough spot, we understand. Much of the country is locked into an oven right now.

Reactions: Christiane
Due to the severe water shortage (have you seen pictures of Lake Mead - so sad) running pool water into the street is highly fined.
Welcome to the forum.
Is that a N Las Vegas city ordnance. I know of no such ordnance in Clark County.

Thank you so much, I knew those regulations exist but could not find them. I did not know about exception for people without public sewer access, so once the temperatures go down below 85F I will file that application with the Director of NLV Public Utilities.
Yes. I follow a few Vegas FB groups and it's very sad indeed. :(

Since you are stuck right now with water restrictions, you should consider doing the following:
1. To compensate for the high CH, be sure to maintain a lower pH and TA. "Try" to keep the pH at 7.5 or below with muriatic acid and the TA around 50-60. That may help to reduce further development of scale until you are able to exchange some water.

2. For the CYA, it's possible it's high than 100. In any case, be sure to maintain a higher FC level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. That chart is key to avoiding cloudiness/algae. You can see how the FC must increase with the CYA to maintain what we call a healthy ratio of about 7.5% between the two.

Maybe watch for some late summer monsoons to blow through and lower the water a little in advance if you can. You're in sort of a tough spot, we understand. Much of the country is locked into an oven right now.
Thank you, I will definitely follow your very much appreciated advice!
Get a sump pump and sprinkler and use it to water the lawn within the allowable time period.
We lieve in the desert. All we can water is dust, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.