First posting after Taylor 2006c testing

Bobbie63

Dec 28, 2020
Georgetown Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hello, here’s my results after receiving my Taylor test kit.

Free Chlorine 5.8
Total Chlorine 5.8
PH 8.0
Calcium Hardness 325
Alkalinity 125
Cyanuric Acid 85

I added the suggested muriatic acid per the book in the kit. How are my other numbers looking?? I had three months free pool maintenance after our pool was completed and only have tested water at the pool store. Any input would be appreciated.

Good job. Keep the pH in the 7's. I suggest using your Poolmath to determine how much chemical to use. Also to record your testing and additions. You are sharing your data so that helps us help you.

Can you fill out your signature?

Your CYA is quite high. Round up to 90. Follow the FC/CYA Levels. Your target FC right now should be 10-12 ppm. Be aware that pH testing is effected when your FC is 10 ppm or above.

As you get rain this winter, be sure to drain off some of the water to lower the CYA. Only use liquid chlorine for maintaining your FC. No Trichlor pucks, none.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Your pucks, the 3" trichlor tabs you were asked to purchase by pool builder, contain amounts of cyunaric acid in them, mixed with chlorine. Your Cyunaric Acid (CYA) level is very high now. So if you continue to use tabs in your inline chlorinator, your CYA will keep rising. Then you will have to drain some water, fill with new water, to lower the CYA.
Using liquid chlorine does not add any CYA to your pool. Better for control of your po chemistry.

Best money you will spend, will be buying pool math app for about 7 bucks for a year, then you can track your testing, treatment, cleaning, etc, so you can see what your pool chemistry time trends are.
I just filled my pool last month after new construction. Would not touch a pool without the app. I know exactly how much volume I have because I recorded water meter readings just before fill, and just after fill. You shod determine your volume as close as you can, use the app and it will guide you on your way to pool boy free life (maybe because you will become the pool boy, not a bad thing though, if you like your water perfect).

With you test kit, test for:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp

Reason I test for all is because when i have all the numbers, pool math gives me a CSI reading, which is useful to find out if your wayer chemistry will affect your pool finish.

Once you have cya dialed in, no need for frequent testing. Some folks on here test cya couple times per year. Mine still rising so I test often. I am using tabs in chlorinator to increase my cya. Once I reach my target of about 40pp, I will stop using any tabs, and will only use liquid chlorine, adding to pool per pool math. If my cya drops again at some point, I will feed in few tabs again, but only enough to come back to my target level.

@mknauss . A little confused. Sorry for the ignorance. I've got a inline puck system. Should I be turning that off in the winter??
As your CYA is now quite high, you need to remove the pucks and use just liquid chlorine. Also drain water prior to rain storms to reduce the CYA.
You will primarily using liquid chlorine to chlorinate the pool. I suggest you consider installing a Salt Water Chlorine Generator.
Have you readABCs of Pool Water Chemistry?

Bobbie,
Welcome aboard! As you may see from reading Marty's reference we do things a little different than you'll hear from pool stores and many builders. We use dirt cheap generic chemicals you can get at big box stores with a methodology based on very sound science. And it works fabulously. Also very important is we sell nothing. So you never get advice that's conflicted.

Please do read the material and ask any questions you may have. TFP methods are not complex and we have experts to help until you get the hang of it. You'll need a test kit so check this out Test Kits Compared and pick one then get it on order asap. I went with the TF 100 six years ago and still use it (couple of refills later). I was slow to learn so I stayed with liquid chlorine for a few years then switched to salt/swg a couple years ago. I should have done it a LONG time ago. Salt is as easy as it gets and my wife loves it. Says it "feels like a spa".

Bobbie, again welcome and look forward to your posts!

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then. That leaves only 'never', as the only time to run it.
Don't feel bad @Bobbie, many of us made this move constructing a pool. Chose chlorinator then found out its purpose will actually impede in maintaining proper water chemistry.
My PB was adamant how great inline chlorinator will be for me. Then I researched. Found it will add cya too, and to reduce cya, I would have to drain some water out. I chuck it up to some goov education.

Yes, and in the spring, summer and fall too.

Reactions: Bobbie63
OK. I've turned off the inline chlorinator. We are having crazy rain today. I will test the water again once it stops. If I have to drain some water, do I just drain it down to the skimmer?? Do I use a sump pump to take the water out?

Best is to use a sump pump. Depending on your equipment setup (can you please fill out your signature!?) you may be able to drain a few inches with it.

I may not be aware of something with your equipment, but just in case, chlorinator, one I have least, is one where water passes through it non stop. So unless you have some bypass installed to circumvent the chlorinator, water will continue to run through, and any chlorine tabs inside, will continue to be dissolved.
My chlorinator looks like this...piping going in one end, coming out the other. Only way to stop chlorination, is to open the top, remove the remainder of chlorine tabs, then close the lid back again. In pic below, it's the front round black cap, with silver handle, handle moves from setting 1 to 6.
If you don't have bypass then you likely need to do same.
Resized_204420648452_785_201_20200818_101849.jpeg

OK. I've turned off the inline chlorinator. We are having crazy rain today. I will test the water again once it stops. If I have to drain some water, do I just drain it down to the skimmer?? Do I use a sump pump to take the water out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.