Southern Louisiana
Good morning. These are my current results

FC 5.5
TC 5.5
PH 8.2 (Taylor)
TA 240
CH 350
CA 90

Please tell what adjustments I need to make. I do see calcium scale around the pool.

I also would like to know if my bubblers are considered to constantly aerate the pool.

Hi Jackie and welcome to TFP! :wave: First question - how does the water look? Cloudy or ANY signs of algae (plumes of green when you brush, etc)? If so, that must be addressed first, probably with a partial water exchange since your CYA is so high. Then you would do a SLAM Process to remove algae. So let us know how the water looks.

If the water appears crystal clear with no algae, then you have a couple options:
1. Exchange some water first to lower your CYA. That will allow you to manage your water better. Or ........

2. Adjust levels now by:
a. Lower the pH. I suspect the increased pH is what has contributed to the scale you are seeing. Yes, those bubblers will cause aeration which increases pH quickly. Fun to look at and hear, but bad for pH. You might consider turning them off unless you are out at the pool. Your TA is also elevated which allows the pH to rise quickly. So you will want to use muriatic acid to lower the pH to about 7.2. Use the PoolMath APP to help you with the amount to use. Then watch the pH over the next day or so. When it creeps-up to 7.8 again, use enough acid to lower it back to 7.2. Repeat this process until the TA is closer to about 90-100. Then the pH should be more stable around 7.6-7.8. Whenever the pH creeps to 8.0 or above, knock it down to keep it in the 7s.
2. Increase the FC to at least 10 for now because your CYA is so high. Always balance FC to CYA as seen on the FC/CYA Levels to avoid algae.

Do you know how your CYA got so high? Did you add stabilizer, or did you use tabs/pucks in the past?

Let us know if you have any questions. Make sure to review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, and read/save those Vital Links below in my signature. Good luck!

Thank you for the help. Yes, I use pucks. I was having to shock my pool two times a week. (Because no chlorine). Which is what prompted me to find Trouble Free pools. My pool store recently about a month ago had me dump baking soda 25 lbs. and then I got the scaling.

My water is gorgeous. Just scale now.

My pool store recently about a month ago had me dump baking soda 25 lbs. and then I got the scaling.
Ugh. :( Typical pool store advice. Well, you'll go through some acid to reverse that trend, but you'll get it back down. Just use that method to lower pH to about 7.2. You can also aerate the water (ha ha - the bubblers) during this process because by raising the pH with aeration, the TA remains where it was. Then when the pH gets to 7.8, use acid to lower it to 7.2 and the TA will down a little each time. Try to get that TA down to 100 or lower. Here is the actual article on lowering TA. Lower Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

As for the pucks and chlorine, that's a tough one. I would hope you can find chlorine at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe, etc. Even regular bleach works (same thing) as long as it's plain - never splashless or scented bleach. Chlorine/bleach has no additives, so if you can get those, remove the pucks. With pucks, eventually you'll need to exchange water.

Perfect! So you pour the chlorine near the return jets just like you would liquid acid. Just make sure to NEVER add them both at the same time. Give acid and bleach about a 5 minute separation with good water movement. You can brush a little as well if needed. As for existing scale, it depends. Scale around the waterline can usually be physically removed in various ways. Scale all over the pool shell can sometimes require a drain and acid wash. But that has its pros & cons, not to mention all the effort.

Once you get the TA down and the pH is under control, I would recommend using the PoolMath APP to manage your "CSI" level on the slightly negative side. In time, that "may" help to thin or remove some scale. Either way, a good amount of brushing will be required. But don't try to mess with that until the TA is back down to about 90-100. The TA might even need to go lower (i.e. 60-80) but let's see how it goes first.

Below are a couple article for y ou to read about CSI and scale in advance.

Prior to finding TFP, I had done a pretty good job of creating a nice layer of calcium scale along the waterline. This can be nearly impossible to remove with chemicals and elbow grease. I opted to have the waterline media blasted at a cost of $4 per linear foot. For me, that worked out to about $400; for your pool size, probably more. Not sure if that service is provided in your area or not, but it looks like there is a company in Perry, LA. Once you get the scale removed, you can keep it off now that you found TFP. Here's a good educational read...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wanted give an update.

FC 9.0
CYA 80!!!! It has dropped! I drained the pool by 5 inches and refilled. We have a ton Of rain coming
PH 7.8 I added more acid to get this down to 7.2
TA 180!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turning off the bubblers has made a huge difference. Although my husband has asked me 3 times why they are not on.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.