First pool party of the year....

Jan 31, 2016
Sonora, California
So we have plans this weekend to open the pool with a back to back pool party. Here are my readings from this morning and wanted to get input from all of you.

Ph-8.2 (added 72oz of acid)
FC-4.5 (will test again tomorrow as I brought it up high to fight some murky water on Monday)
CC-0
CH-150
TA-70
CYA-25 (plan to add 138 oz liquid stabilizer to bring it to 40)

So what do you think? I'm thinking I need to lower my TA as I have to add 72oz of acid every week.

Thanks!!

A whole bunch of people splashing in the pool will aerate it big time, so drop pH to 7.2.

Yes, raise CYA. With 40 CYA, your minimum FC is 3, your normal target is 5-7 and shock level is 16. Before the party, boost FC to 10. It's well below shock level so it's safe. Don't be alarmed after the party if the FC is way down and the water looks a little murky. Just boost FC to 10 again after the last person gets out and leave the pump run overnight and it'll go back to normal.

I'm in the same boat with pH. These IC SWGs seem to boost pH a good bit. I go through about a gallon every 2-3 weeks. Right now I'm just adding, logging, charting things. Then I want to experiment with borates to see if that helps improve the situation. My TA is also a bit elevated so I'm working on getting that down too. I would not lower yours much further; 70 is typically a good place to be.

I'd also consider turning off your SWG tonight and performing an OCLT just make sure nothing is lurking there since you observed murky water.

Your CYA needs to be more like 70. Liquid is expensive, so if you go ahead with that, I'd also start getting enough of the granular stabilizer going for the jump from 40-70.

Also, are these levels from a recommended test kit, or strips/pool store?

Let me clarify, my water was murky due to super low FC, I didn't notice my pump was running too slow for the SWG to recognize flow so no chlorine was being produced outside of the 3 hour cleaning cycle. I raised my FC to 6 and now it's settled at 4.5 once I increase my pump speed for the 7 hour circulation cycle.

So we have plans this weekend to open the pool with a back to back pool party. Here are my readings from this morning and wanted to get input from all of you.

Ph-8.2 (added 72oz of acid)
FC-4.5 (will test again tomorrow as I brought it up high to fight some murky water on Monday)
CC-0
CH-150
TA-70
CYA-25 (plan to add 138 oz liquid stabilizer to bring it to 40)

So what do you think? I'm thinking I need to lower my TA as I have to add 72oz of acid every week.

Thanks!!

Eye,

With a SWCG, your CYA really needs to be 70 or 80... If your CYA is too low you'll have to run your SWCG at 80% to keep up...

And, the less you run your SWCG the less your pH will increase. Another thing that will drive your pH up is constantly running your spillover..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.