First levels for our new pool!

Nate4429

Mar 8, 2019
Marysville, Wa
So here are my first levels I have ever run in the pool for the house we are moving into May3rd. I will check on it weekly between now and then. Where should I be keeping these levels? How do they look? The targets are what the app automatically generated. The previous owner had targets of FC 2-6, PH 7.6, TA 80, CH 50+, CYA 40.

We won’t be swimming in it until we move in so not sure if I need to get everything perfect now or not.

Attachments

• D53A7C1D-054A-4852-8D33-210FC0CECBE0.png
    D53A7C1D-054A-4852-8D33-210FC0CECBE0.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 25
Hey Nate! Double congrats -- a new house AND a new pool. Doesn't get any better than that. Do you know if the pool has a SWG? Target levels are different for SWG vs. non-SWG. I'm a relative noob currently dealing with my own pool crisis but the kind, experienced folks here won't steer you wrong!

Reactions: Nate4429
FC is low for the CYA level

CYA can't be 72. It is 70 or 80. You can't guess at values in between the lines since the lines are logarithmic spacing. You always round up.

Your post says your CYA is 40 but your PoolMath says it is 72????

ph of under 7 and TA of 20 is concerning. You should raise TA to at least 60 which will raise your pH.

Do you have a heater? pH that low can damage a heater core.

If your CYA is 80 and you don't have a SWG your CYA is too high. You will need to get your CYA down to 30-40 by draining 50% of your water and refilling or doing a water exchange.

Test your fill water for pH, TA and CH to get a sense of which way your pool water will change with the refill. If you need to refill then you should do that first and then adjust the water chemistry.

You need to toss a bunch of liquid chlorine in every time you are at the pool to keep the FC up and keep it from becoming a swamp. Use PoolMath to calculate how much liquid Chlorine you need to get it around 20 if you are only checking weekly.

Last edited:
FC is low for the CYA level

CYA can't be 72. It is 70 or 80. You can't guess at values in between the lines since the lines are logarithmic spacing. You always round up.

Your post says your CYA is 40 but your PoolMath saays it is 72????

ph of under 7 and TA of 20 is concerning. You should raise TA to at least 60 which will raise your pH.

Do you have a heater? pH that low can damage a heater core.

If your CYA is 80 and you don't have a SWG your CYA is too high. You will need to get your CYA down to 30-40 by draining 50% of your water and refilling or doing a water exchange.

Test your fill water for pH, TA and CH to get a sense of which way your pool water will change with the refill. If you need to refill then you should do that first and then adjust the water chemistry.

You need to toss a bunch of liquid chlorine in every time you are at the pool to keep the FC up and keep it from becoming a swamp. Use PoolMath to calculate how much liquid Chlorine you need to get it around 20 if you are only checking weekly.
Always round up even if its just barely past the line?

Also I have talked to my buddy the previous owner and he has a plan for me and I will go out and do it this afternoon and let you know what I get when I go back on Friday :)

The Pool Math app said I need to put in 2 gallons of bleach and one cup. I'm going to stop using the chlorine feeder since it tends to bring the CYA up and go with bleach. This is what the previous owner does.

Always round up even if its just barely past the line?

Yes. CYA test is not precise. Always better to round up in setting your FC level.

Also I have talked to my buddy the previous owner and he has a plan for me and I will go out and do it this afternoon and let you know what I get when I go back on Friday :)

Standing by.

The Pool Math app said I need to put in 2 gallons of bleach and one cup. I'm going to stop using the chlorine feeder since it tends to bring the CYA up and go with bleach. This is what the previous owner does.

Good decision.

Ok so here are my levels today. As you can see I've done some adjusting since the first post on this thread. When I raised the TA the PH went way up...Looks like my TA is in the zone (ACBs of pool says 60-120 for TA). My CYA levels have come down with some rain we've had over the last week. I haven't done anything else to bring it down...Pool Math app is telling me to add 86oz. of Muriatic Acid to bring it down. I will get some ordered and get it in by Thursday. Is there anything else that you would recommend to bring my PH levels down? Thanks! Walmart had some Sodium Bisulfate 93.2%. Could I use that instead of Muriatic Acid? It's cheaper...and closer and won't have to wait for shipping.
IMG_FE9762074348-1.jpeg

What are you looking to bring your pH down to? What test do you use to get your pH reading of 8.5?

Go easy on the pH and lower it to 7.8.

Question I guess....I'm guessing 8.5 cause it was slightly pinker than the top PH level on the test kit. I have the TF-100. Is there a more precise way to get a PH reading? Or how to I estimate PH levels when its higher than the test goes? Thanks I'm a newbie :) Also target of 7.2-7.8

Guessing only gets you into trouble.

If pH tests over 8 you call it 8+. Use PoolMath saying pH is 8 and target is 7.6 to calculate how much MA to add. Let water circulate for 30 minutes and test pH again. Repeat cycle until you get a test result in the 7s.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as the Sodium Bisulfate -- the issue is the sulfates in it builds up in your water. Those sulfates will lead to corrosion of metals and degradation of concrete. So we do not recommend its use.

I am amazed you can ship muriatic acid via normal household delivery. It is not very nice stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.