First Ever Build: Quote & Cost vs. Quality??

iCorr434

May 28, 2020
Northeast Florida
Have two competing pool quotes: one is $52K (all-in) vs. $63K (pool & equipment, no pavers). Torn between which one to select. The cheaper option has a varied business record (good & bad reviews across town). Price would seem reasonable pre-COVID but now it seems low compared to others. Asked to speak with current/past clients to get an idea of how the install & service went. The price seems too good to pass up so maybe I am missing something in the equipment/design. Any help/advice greatly appreciated!!!

Volume: 12.5K gallons
Size: 13' wide x 26' long (images attached) with bench & extra large entry steps
Depth: sports pool (3.75' to 4.75' to 3.75', to waterline),
Shape: geometric (images attached)
Pool: 3 wall returns, 1 skimmer, 1 cleaner line, 2 main drains
Tile: 6" x 6"
Interior Finish: Pebble interior with lifetime warranty ($1950 upgrade)
Equipment:
-Pump - Intelliflow Variable Speed Pump
-Filter: Pentair PLM 150 cartridge
-Chlorinator IC40 with Easy Touch
-Lighting: 120V white light
Extras:
-Raised waterfall $3850
Pavers: 2 3/8" bullnose coping, 2 3/8" paver decking 600sqft

Total cost w/ option ~$52K.

Attachments

• Pool-1.jpg
    Pool-1.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Pool-2.jpg
    Pool-2.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Pool-3.jpg
    Pool-3.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Pool-4.jpg
    Pool-4.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Pool-5.jpg
    Pool-5.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 46

Equipment looks good, but I would go with a much larger filter. The bigger they are the less often you have to clean them.. Unless you will have a screen room.

I like at least 4 returns, where you have one one each wall of the pool.

I also like having two skimmers with each skimmer being connected to the equipment pad with a Jandy valve.. Make sure your main drains also go back to the equipment pad and not the bottom of the skimmer. If I were to build another pool today, I would not install main drains as they just get in the way and are just not needed..

In Florida, I would for sure get an overflow port..

Not sure if it is just the drawing, but if you don't have three or four feet of decking between the pool and the lawn, you will just be using the pool as a place to collect grass clipping..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply. Follow-on project is to install synthetic grass around the pool. The idea of never having to mow a lawn again is too tempting.

Good points on the returns and overflow port. No lanai so the larger filter will come in handy.

I would ask for which pump specifically...that could describe a few. Which Easy Touch? You don't want the "lite" version. Is one light enough and do you want 120 volts...other option is 12 volts (maybe there are other options, that's just what I'm aware of). How long has the PB been in business?

PB has been around for about 15yrs.
Will check on the pump, was looking at the 3HP, 3.2kW model
Didn't realize the EasyTouch came in "lite" thanks for the heads up!
Lights - don't want the large fish eye lens light but would rather have one or two smaller sized LEDs if that is possible.

I believe that in order to use the EasyTouch on your phone you will need ScreenLogic so you may want to get the price for that from the PB. Oh, and maybe ask him what his payment schedule is...like how much deposit, how much after dig, how much after start up if this is important to you...I am getting quotes and one PB wanted 100% before he was done and I don't like that idea...but some people are more trusting than I am, lol.

The lite version EasyTouch does not have a load center for your circuit breakers and does not come with an IC40 (Salt cell).. I would not give on to my MIL..

It appears to me that you are getting a "real" EasyTouch, which comes with an internal Salt system power supply, and includes the IC40 salt cell.. It is a package deal. But... just to make sure I would ask for the Part Number..

What is does not show is how many relays the EasyTouch will have.. It comes with either 4 or 8.. These relays are used to control external things that run off of 120 or 240 volts.

Your salt system will need one relay (this one is called the pump/filter relay.)

Your pool light will need one relay.. If you get multiple lights, each light that you want to turn on and off independently will need a relay. Low voltage lights will also need transformers(s)...

I am not a fan of color changing lights as they last about long as my socks... :(

The IntelliFlo is designed to work with the EasyTouch and does not need a relay.

I suggest a light over the equipment pad, so that is another relay..

If you buy an ET 4, you have now used at least 3 or your 4 relays..

Using an EasyTouch with the add on ScreenLogic2, is like riding a horse without a saddle.. Easier said than done! ScreenLogic2 allows you to use your PC, Phone or Tablet to control your pool. But the best thing is that it is at least 10 x easier to use and program than the standard EasyTouch system itself. Here are a couple of pics to wet your whistle...

View media item 1963

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: TampaKathy
You are correct, it was the IC40 with ET as a package. That ScreenLogic2 looks awesome.
Leaning towards the 8 relay as we plan to add landscape lights and the option to expand is nice.

Is it possible to then tie in electronic actuating valves to the ET system? I'd like to be able to turn the waterfall on/off remotely rather than walking over to turn valves. I'm guessing that's something I would get through Pentair as well. (there goes that 4th relay on the ET 4... :ROFLMAO:)

For the main drain returns, you said to make sure they run back to the pad not the skimmers, what's the thought behind this? Is it worth it to have separate valves to actuate the main drains and skimmers?

The Standard EasyTouch has two user programmable valve drivers.. It comes with 4 drivers, but two have fixed programming that are only used to switch between the Pool mode and the Spa mode. You do not normally use the High voltage relays to control valves.. (You can, but you just waste a relay).. You can control valves with something called a "Feature Circuit".. You can turn a feature circuit on/off from the main panel or any remote or ScreenLogic or you can just schedule it..

One of the great things is that you can tie the feature circuit together with a pump speed.. So, when you turn on the feature, the water will flow and the pump will run at whatever speed that you think looks the best...

You don't need automated valves to for your skimmers or main drain.. But you do want the ability to manually determine how much suction goes to each one.. You do that with a series of Jandy style valves...

You can see by this pic that when I turn my Waterfall on, the pump increases speed up to 2800 RPM..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.