First CYA test

I have pumped during 46 hours around 18,800 gallons and filled with the same (incredibly lucky the level remained the same during this 46 hours).

Based on my calculations:
- 18800 switch
- 28000 gallons pool
- CYA around 140

I should have a CYA close to 45 now. I hope !

Should I know start the filter to mix the water for few hours before doing the test ?

Exactly. 15 minutes would be fine. It should be sunny out for the test and water temp warmed up to 70 degrees (may have been mentioned earlier).

Ok so I may have messed up with my calculations, I have a CYA now lower than 30, at 30 I can still see the black spot. What should I do ? Would it be linked to the fact that the water would not have not mixed yet enough ? I waited few hours with the filter on.

ok good... and if you have any leftover pucks those would add some CYA as well. You pool is huge, so I would be tempted to use a combo of liquid chlorine and pucks, obviously keeping an eye on CYA to make sure it doesnt get too high.

ok good... and if you have any leftover pucks those would add some CYA as well. You pool is huge, so I would be tempted to use a combo of liquid chlorine and pucks, obviously keeping an eye on CYA to make sure it doesnt get too high.

I hope I'm right on the calculation !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have ran the test again, and again at 30 I still can see the dark spot pretty well. What should I do next ?
I may need to add cyanuric acid 2 pounds to increase by 10 ? And wait and measure the CYA again ?

Sounds like. I suspect your pool volume is less than you believe.

Add the CYA via the sock method. Once it is fully dissolved, test the CYA 24 hours after.

Sounds like. I suspect your pool volume is less than you believe.

Add the CYA via the sock method. Once it is fully dissolved, test the CYA 24 hours after.

This is my concern about the volume in the pool.
I have redone tbe calculation and I may be closer to 21,000. In this case I have almost swap all the water (around 18,000).
Could you share with me the link to the sock method so I am sure to do it right ?

Could you share with me the link to the sock method so I am sure to do it right ?
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) or panty hose and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

From our Wiki - Solid stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock or nylon and hanging that sock in front of fast moving return(s). Shaking and squeezing the sock while in the pool water will help the stabilizer dissolve faster.

Thanks for all your answers. I will assume first that I am at 20 for CYA, I am assuming 21800 gallons now. And based on this I will start by adding 1 pound of cyanuric acid.
I will wait 24 hours and measure again the CYA and see if I need to add another pound.
Really appreciate your guidance in this process

I would suggest adding 2 lbs of CYA. That will add just over 10 ppm. You should be able to see that with the test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.