Finished SLAM, now obsessed with pool! LOL

Apr 27, 2018
Houston, Texas
Did this happen to anyone else?!? We completed our SLAM and passed OCLT, and now I'm obsessed with keeping the water crystal clear! I guess it's a good thing!

I also discovered during the SLAM that I have not been doing some of the tests correctly. Whoops! On some of the color changing tests, I would just add enough drops to get the color to change, but I learned that you are supposed to keep adding drops until the color stops changing.

Thank you TFP for all of the help and great information!

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Keep in mind that it's the drop count until the color stops changing so you may need to ignore the last drop. For instance the TA test starts with a green solution. You add reagent until it turns red. I add until the last drop doesn't change the color to a darker shade of red. Then I ignore the last drop since it didn't cause any further change. I.E. 7 drops is a light red, 8 drops are a dark red, 9 drops are no change in color. You count this as 8 drops.

And to answer your question, YES, I think we are ALL obsessed with keeping our pools as clean and clear as possible!
I get comments all the time about how good my water looks.
Not to mention the looks of disbelief when I tell them how LITTLE time I spend on the pool to keep it looking THAT GOOD.

Same thing happened to me. My pool was only open 1 year when I ran into what I think had brought a lot of people here: pool store advice that led to high CYA and an eventual algae bloom. Thanks to the help of this site I drained my pool, got the CYA corrected, successfully completed a SLAM and had a SWG installed. This was July of last year. Since then I too am obsessed with the clarity of the water!

I test everyday and do what I call a visual inspection of the pool. I put on my scuba mask and look at every nook and crannie looking again for that algae bloom. My family teases me about it, especially my wife who wishes I “cared” as much about her as my pool. Of course there is no algae because I keep my pool properly chlorinated according to TFP methods. Since I have found this site last year I have not been to a pool store and have added nothing to my pool except a little CYA and muriatuc acid. And the water is Chrystal clear. But it does feel good when someone visits for the first time and I get that “ wow does your pool look nice” comment.

So you are not alone! I guess one good thing about being in Ohio is I have to close the pool 7 months a year so I get a break.

Thanks TFP for the best looking pool in my neighborhood!

DorsalSpine,
Thanks for the tip about subtracting the last drop once the color stops changing! I was just following the instructions in the TF-100 kit, and I always wondered how red or blue, etc, the test is supposed to get. Now I know better! :)

RonsPlc,
Isn't it amazing how little time the pool takes to keep in order, once it's clean and balanced?! It's literally a few minutes everyday to test and adjust chemicals and a little longer on days that I brush/clean skimmers/run a full set of tests, etc.

Kjp300,
Too funny about the scuba mask! My husband just told me to get one to make my inspections easier! LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.