Finally! We're Diggin' - First Pool, DFW area, Lap/Sports w hot tub

Good thought, thanks! We are pouring the equipment pad to be able to accommodate a chiller heat pump. This way if it turns the water is too hot then we will be adding that on. The shallow shelf will be in the shade all day except for an hour or so because of the house being built around the pool. Plus the house will shade the entire pool from late afternoon sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: MyAZPool
I wish I could be on site but I have to go to work. I might get to be there for an hour or so.

What is the concern with rebound and trimmings? I'm getting super nervous about the whole thing.

Last edited:
I wish I could be on site but I have to go to work. I might get to be there for an hour or so.

What is the concern with rebound and trimmings?

rebound can result in cold joints (structural weak spots)

my world view is people generally take short cuts so keep an eye on them.

my gunite crew was using the rebound and spreading it on the floor when the shoot started. i told my PB (he was busy talking to someone on his cell) and he talked to crew lead immediately and said no rebound at all. they flung the rest out of the pool (it was a significant amount)

So is the rebound just the extra they cut out while shaping the structure?

I ask because I might beat the pool builder to the site while those guys are working and I am wondering how do I identify if they are doing this.

Last edited:
So is the rebound just the extra they cut out while shaping the structure?

I ask because I might beat the pool builder to the site while those guys are working and I am wondering how do I identify if they are doing this.
i am a pool noob so take this with a grain of salt

watch the guys with shovels....they are the ones dealing with rebound. you want to see them flinging it out of the pool non stop.

if you see shovels packing stuff into the floors that is likely rebound material being used

The stuff they cut yes, but also and the namesake is the material that rebounds/bounces off of the walls and lands on the floor. Gunite or shotcrete gains its strength by the compaction that occurs when it slams against the wall/floor and compacts. When it just plops on the floor or gets shoveled around, the PSI of the final product will be lower. Will your pool fall down or develop a gaping hole? No, but it isn’t right and isn’t as strong. It can have consequences over time and in the right circumstances.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.