Finally replacing filter, advice needed

Nov 4, 2017
Ma
hi all,

I live in MA and have a 22k vinyl pool with SWG. Currently have a 25 year old 2” sand filter with 3/4 hp single speed pump. 1.5” fittings. Valve broke on the filter so I’m using that as an excuse to upgrade the pump and filter.

I’m looking at a variable speed pump, likely doheny’s model and debating filter type. I have had no issues with the sand filter, aside from the time it takes to open the pool, but am tempted by the lower microns a cartridge or DE can offer. Like many, my goals are super clear water with minimal maintenance. I’m a little wary of the DE just because of having to replace medium and environmental impact. Cartridges sound great, but my pool is under trees and we get pollen storms every now and then. Would those factors make me miserable with cleaning off a cartridge too frequently?

I don’t mind doing a deep clean at the start and end of season but want to avoid a lot of work in between. I’m planning to oversize the filter and budget is fortunately flexible. What do you all think or recommend?

Last edited:
I just spent several hours yesterday cleaning my DE filter. It has been a year but I backwash it regularly so actually it looked better than I expected. It is still a lot of mess and clean up but it does a wonderful job in filtering so I cannot complain. If I had to do it over again I would go with cartridge filter. I do not know much about sand filters other than a neighbor uses a small one for a water fountain they have (no pool). Based on numerous comments by those that have cartridge filters, they say the larger one you buy the less time between cleaning. Some only clean twice a year. You may have more unique pollen and debris issues but my guest a 400 sq ft cartridge filter would do fine. You could go to a 500 sq ft if someone makes it.

I just spent several hours yesterday cleaning my DE filter. It has been a year but I backwash it regularly so actually it looked better than I expected. It is still a lot of mess and clean up but it does a wonderful job in filtering so I cannot complain. If I had to do it over again I would go with cartridge filter. I do not know much about sand filters other than a neighbor uses a small one for a water fountain they have (no pool). Based on numerous comments by those that have cartridge filters, they say the larger one you buy the less time between cleaning. Some only clean twice a year. You may have more unique pollen and debris issues but my guest a 400 sq ft cartridge filter would do fine. You could go to a 500 sq ft if someone makes it.

thanks. There’s a big price jump above 200 sq ft. Cheapest 200sqft i found is 350 and it jumps to 800 for a quad 425.

do you think a 425 is really worth that for me? The 200 has a 96k turnover in 8 hrs, which I understand means less when you’re sizing for less frequent maintenance, but any idea how much more frequently I would have to clean the 200sqft vs the 425?

thanks. There’s a big price jump above 200 sq ft. Cheapest 200sqft i found is 350 and it jumps to 800 for a quad 425.

do you think a 425 is really worth that for me? The 200 has a 96k turnover in 8 hrs, which I understand means less when you’re sizing for less frequent maintenance, but any idea how much more frequently I would have to clean the 200sqft vs the 425?
Since I do not have a cartridge filter it is difficult for me to predict but obviously there are many variables to how much debris falls in your pool that is not picked up by either your cleaner or the skimmers, how often you manually skim, etc. One view is there are 2 critical components to ensure your pool is clean - the pump and the filter. So if you were to focus on where to spend $$ it would be one or both of those items. Hope this helps but ultimately moving to any cartridge filter may be better than either sand or DE however many people have strong preferences for those as well. If you look at easy of plumbing and maintenance, I think a cartridge filter wins out over the other 2.

Are you going with the dohenys brand filter for the $800? I am in a similar boat looking for a replacement filter and don’t want to pay the 1150 for Hayward when the Dohenys looks exactly the same.

Are you going with the dohenys brand filter for the $800? I am in a similar boat looking for a replacement filter and don’t want to pay the 1150 for Hayward when the Dohenys looks exactly the same.

I didn't. I went with the Hayward Tristar Pump and Hayward 425 sqft filter. Rationalization was that the Doheny brand is really just a rebranded chinese knockoff and it'd be easier to find parts/support for the Hayward product down the road.

+1. The pump and filter are the backbone of your crazy expensive build. To have any questions at ALL about your backbone for a mere $300 would not be worth it to me. That’s not to say that the lesser brands don’t work, I just wouldn’t want the risk if they aren’t still here or parts are hard to come by 7 years from now.

If I was already stretched that thin I would shave 1 inch off the patio to make up the difference :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: wolverine
I didn't. I went with the Hayward Tristar Pump and Hayward 425 sqft filter. Rationalization was that the Doheny brand is really just a rebranded chinese knockoff and it'd be easier to find parts/support for the Hayward product down the road.
You are running the exact same setup for a pool about the same size.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice. The filter is finally coming next week for me. How’s your system working for you?
Hi Jtate - I’m in MA too. I’ve had a DE filter for years and it’s finally biting the dust. I don’t want to deal with the DE after every backwash so considering cartridge or sand as a replacement. I like the idea of the cartridge especially if I size up, but not sure how much ongoing maintenance to water balancing I need to be doing to ensure I only have to clean the cartridge 1-2 times a year. Would love to hear about your experience with the cartridge filter so far. Thanks!

Hi Jtate - I’m in MA too. I’ve had a DE filter for years and it’s finally biting the dust. I don’t want to deal with the DE after every backwash so considering cartridge or sand as a replacement. I like the idea of the cartridge especially if I size up, but not sure how much ongoing maintenance to water balancing I need to be doing to ensure I only have to clean the cartridge 1-2 times a year. Would love to hear about your experience with the cartridge filter so far. Thanks!

No complaints so far. I opened my pool late since it took me some time to complete the install, so it was a green swamp full of pollen. Opened on a Saturday with a SLAM and it was swimmable on Friday after running the pump constantly w/ a skimmer sock. I was worried about junking up the cartridges with all the pollen, hence the skimmer sock. Rising pressure is not an issue as I've been running the pump 24/7 at only 1200 rpm. So far so good

No complaints so far. I opened my pool late since it took me some time to complete the install, so it was a green swamp full of pollen. Opened on a Saturday with a SLAM and it was swimmable on Friday after running the pump constantly w/ a skimmer sock. I was worried about junking up the cartridges with all the pollen, hence the skimmer sock. Rising pressure is not an issue as I've been running the pump 24/7 at only 1200 rpm. So far so good
Skimmer socks or hairnets help a lot with pollen. Took me 20 years to learn that trick :)

Reactions: Tonyd142002
Awesome! For your filter, how much are the replacement cartridges? Also, what type of daily/weekly water testing and general maintenance are you doing? Just trying to assess what I should expect to be doing regularly to ensure I only have to clean the cartridge 1-2 times a year. Thanks and glad to hear things are going well!

If you watch Amazon in the off season you might find a "used" one from amazon warehouse which means somebody bought the wrong size. I got lucky once and one didn't have the clear wrap but all 4 were brand new and I saved about $40

Awesome! For your filter, how much are the replacement cartridges? Also, what type of daily/weekly water testing and general maintenance are you doing? Just trying to assess what I should expect to be doing regularly to ensure I only have to clean the cartridge 1-2 times a year. Thanks and glad to hear things are going well!

I think all 4 is around $200, assuming a generic brand. I haven't noticed any difference maintaining the water with the new equipment. With a SWG and TFP recommendations, it's really low maintenance.

On the "generic" brands, some are better than others. I really like the Pleatco filters I have. I recently bought some, either excel or Xcel, with black rubber at the ends. They do not really fit properly. The do not have a tight fit on the ends, which allows a little leakage.

On the "generic" brands, some are better than others. I really like the Pleatco filters I have
Somebody got a new Pentair filter recently that came from the factory with Pleatco-s. They either approve of them as a replacement, or Pleatco was making their filters the whole time and the Pentair stamped ones were out of stock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.