Finally replacing filter, advice needed

Jtate84

Nov 4, 2017
Ma
hi all,

I live in MA and have a 22k vinyl pool with SWG. Currently have a 25 year old 2” sand filter with 3/4 hp single speed pump. 1.5” fittings. Valve broke on the filter so I’m using that as an excuse to upgrade the pump and filter.

I’m looking at a variable speed pump, likely doheny’s model and debating filter type. I have had no issues with the sand filter, aside from the time it takes to open the pool, but am tempted by the lower microns a cartridge or DE can offer. Like many, my goals are super clear water with minimal maintenance. I’m a little wary of the DE just because of having to replace medium and environmental impact. Cartridges sound great, but my pool is under trees and we get pollen storms every now and then. Would those factors make me miserable with cleaning off a cartridge too frequently?

I don’t mind doing a deep clean at the start and end of season but want to avoid a lot of work in between. I’m planning to oversize the filter and budget is fortunately flexible. What do you all think or recommend?

Last edited:

HermanTX

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Katy TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just spent several hours yesterday cleaning my DE filter. It has been a year but I backwash it regularly so actually it looked better than I expected. It is still a lot of mess and clean up but it does a wonderful job in filtering so I cannot complain. If I had to do it over again I would go with cartridge filter. I do not know much about sand filters other than a neighbor uses a small one for a water fountain they have (no pool). Based on numerous comments by those that have cartridge filters, they say the larger one you buy the less time between cleaning. Some only clean twice a year. You may have more unique pollen and debris issues but my guest a 400 sq ft cartridge filter would do fine. You could go to a 500 sq ft if someone makes it.

Jtate84

Nov 4, 2017
Ma
I just spent several hours yesterday cleaning my DE filter. It has been a year but I backwash it regularly so actually it looked better than I expected. It is still a lot of mess and clean up but it does a wonderful job in filtering so I cannot complain. If I had to do it over again I would go with cartridge filter. I do not know much about sand filters other than a neighbor uses a small one for a water fountain they have (no pool). Based on numerous comments by those that have cartridge filters, they say the larger one you buy the less time between cleaning. Some only clean twice a year. You may have more unique pollen and debris issues but my guest a 400 sq ft cartridge filter would do fine. You could go to a 500 sq ft if someone makes it.

thanks. There’s a big price jump above 200 sq ft. Cheapest 200sqft i found is 350 and it jumps to 800 for a quad 425.

do you think a 425 is really worth that for me? The 200 has a 96k turnover in 8 hrs, which I understand means less when you’re sizing for less frequent maintenance, but any idea how much more frequently I would have to clean the 200sqft vs the 425?

HermanTX

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Katy TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
thanks. There’s a big price jump above 200 sq ft. Cheapest 200sqft i found is 350 and it jumps to 800 for a quad 425.

do you think a 425 is really worth that for me? The 200 has a 96k turnover in 8 hrs, which I understand means less when you’re sizing for less frequent maintenance, but any idea how much more frequently I would have to clean the 200sqft vs the 425?
Since I do not have a cartridge filter it is difficult for me to predict but obviously there are many variables to how much debris falls in your pool that is not picked up by either your cleaner or the skimmers, how often you manually skim, etc. One view is there are 2 critical components to ensure your pool is clean - the pump and the filter. So if you were to focus on where to spend $$ it would be one or both of those items. Hope this helps but ultimately moving to any cartridge filter may be better than either sand or DE however many people have strong preferences for those as well. If you look at easy of plumbing and maintenance, I think a cartridge filter wins out over the other 2.

SCS15

Feb 10, 2018
Mahopac, NY

Are you going with the dohenys brand filter for the $800? I am in a similar boat looking for a replacement filter and don’t want to pay the 1150 for Hayward when the Dohenys looks exactly the same.

Jtate84

Nov 4, 2017
Ma
Are you going with the dohenys brand filter for the $800? I am in a similar boat looking for a replacement filter and don’t want to pay the 1150 for Hayward when the Dohenys looks exactly the same.

I didn't. I went with the Hayward Tristar Pump and Hayward 425 sqft filter. Rationalization was that the Doheny brand is really just a rebranded chinese knockoff and it'd be easier to find parts/support for the Hayward product down the road.

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
+1. The pump and filter are the backbone of your crazy expensive build. To have any questions at ALL about your backbone for a mere $300 would not be worth it to me. That’s not to say that the lesser brands don’t work, I just wouldn’t want the risk if they aren’t still here or parts are hard to come by 7 years from now.

If I was already stretched that thin I would shave 1 inch off the patio to make up the difference :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: wolverine

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Skimmer socks can take in quite a bit of pollen thus not going into the cart filters. Just make sure to clean it daily. It can cake up and clog on heavy pollen days.

red-beard

Gold Supporter
May 27, 2019
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I didn't. I went with the Hayward Tristar Pump and Hayward 425 sqft filter. Rationalization was that the Doheny brand is really just a rebranded chinese knockoff and it'd be easier to find parts/support for the Hayward product down the road.
You are running the exact same setup for a pool about the same size.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support