Outside Philadelphia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC4 (RC-52)
So after months or research, contract negotiations, engineering, HOA approvals and permits, we are finally building a pool. At this point I have a few things outstanding, and appreciate any feedback. I will be posting pics of progress. Here are the first things I need to sort out:

1. Should I have a water line run to the pool area which is 50' at least from the nearest water hose bib (90' up by the equipment)?
  2. I am getting a robot, no doubt. I am very interested in the Dolphin Quantum and was recently looking at the Premier. These seem to be way better than anything else out there. Should I ditch the pressure side plumbing? I have it there as a backup, but am not buying a booster pump. The line will be capped.
  3. Whole house surge protector - I believe there is one this forum recommends. I have to dig it up, but appreciate any suggestions.
  4. Slide - Is the pump I have selected enough to run the slide and pool? Based on the pump specs I think I will have no issue using it for the slide and filtration. I am not sure if I can do both at the same time though.
  5. See attached pics - Is there something I should move around or is missing? The fence below is not correct. The equipment will be fenced in as well. Landscaping is not shown.

Here are the specs:

• 809 sq ft Roman/Gothic pool with EP Henry Pewter blend bullnose coping and 800 sq ft rock salt finish concrete deck and EP Henry Pewter blend bullnose pavers for coping
  • 3' shallow end; 8' deep end
  • Interfab Adrenaline slide
  • CLI Gray Reef Sunstone Pearl - Pebble interior finish
  • 80 sq ft sunshelf
  • 6' long deep end bench
  • 1/2 rebar, 8" shell throughout
  • 3 floor returns (one on transition and two in deep end), 3 eyeball returns w/ one at sunshelf, 2 skimmers
  • Two Colorlogic LED lights
  • Sta-rite Pentair System 3 Cartridge Filter (model # S8M500)
  • Pool pilot digital power supply (item #75003), manifold and cell (PPM-4)
  • Sta-Rite P6E6VS4H-209L IntelliPro Variable Speed Pool Pump

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 3.02.06 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 3.01.39 PM.jpg
20170628_082504.jpg

Questions 1, 2 and 3 are all a resounding YES!

Can not comment on slide, sorry!

Make sure lights are facing away from house. Get as much decking as you can afford- 3' isn't all that big for two people to walk along, or chairs to sit, and grass clippings will tend to shoot over to the pool if not mowed carefully to avoid that.

We look forward to following along with your build. Please keep the pics coming :)

Maddie :flower:

Addendum- I'd not bother putting pressure side pipes in for a cleaner. Robots are the ONLY way to go these days are perform far better. Simplifies your plumbing too.

Subbed here for updates as things progress. :) We will likely wind up with something in a similar size with similar options.

BTW what made you go with the pebble finish vs. plaster or some of the others?

@YippeeSkippy - Thanks for the input. 3' is what I went with a more decking means even more money into Storm Water Management and engineering. I think the decking is a bit small, but the price of more decking doesn't seem worth it. Most of our decking will be over on the one side. I don't expect to spend much time on the other side...plus expanding it starts encroaching on a tree I want to keep. Trade offs I suppose to all of this.

@Gorilla83 - Not sure I can believe the hype, but I grew up with plaster pools. They seem not to last as long. I have a neighbor with pebble and love the feel of it. He has never had to resurface in around 20 years. The water color is awesome as well.

Why ditch the prsssure side plumbing? It costs very little to plumb a line and you may change your mind someday.
Most people have advised me that robots are the future. I tend to agree since I have a lawn mowing robot and worry the pressure side port is just another source of maintenance/leaks.

1 - agree that you want a water spigot near the pool. Mine is coming off my sprinkler main -- about a 15' run that cost me $50 in labor to install. No brainer.

4 - My filter pump runs my slide no problem. Since it's a VS pump, you can also control the amount of water coming down your slide -- helpful because you can increase the pump speed as the filter pressure builds (no need to bypass).

Good luck with build!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oakridge that is going to be a great pool and the surroundings are awesome. Keep the pics coming as I'm sure there will be plenty of folks following this.

I use my water spigot (or spicket as I know it by) by the pool almost every time I'm down there. Watering plants, spraying off robot filters, filling dog bowl, hosing down deck, filling pool, cleaning filter cartridges, etc.

Keep in mind though that you will need to have a way to blow that line out for winter if it is not all protected from the cold. Mine benefits from gravity. The pool is all downhill of the house and I open up an valve to allow air in (extra valve) by the house then open the downstream one and it all drains. Still, the poolside water source is quite valuable.

My builder suggests that I don't waste money on a water line for the few times I need to clean cartridges, pool robot filter or top off pool. I'll ask for a quote anyway. The water line needs to go below the frost line to reduce the maintenance during winterization.

As far as the maple tree about 15 feet from my pool, is that going to be a major headache as far as dirt in the pool? Should I be worried about roots breaking the plumbing in ground, decking or the pool shell over time?

From some quick online searches, it seems to me that I should be ok. Though I cannot say for certain, the fact that everything is rigid schedule 40 PVC gives me that understanding. Sched 40 appears to be used because it is thicker and resistant to roots (among other reasons). Also, roots seek out water so if there are no leaks the root system shouldn't directly "attack" the pipes. Again, I am not expert, but this is the impression I got after a few minutes of searching. Appreciate any inputs as they started excavating today and will do plumbing early next week.

More thoughts regarding the water spigot down by the pool- Aren't you going to want some plants and pots of flowers around the pool that will need water? I sure do and have to haul my hose down there each time is a bit of a pain...

In the hottest summer days you sure can need to top off a pool from evaporation. A near by source makes it a snap. I'd rather have a source of water useful for multiple purposes rather than a pool autofiller any day.

Maddie :flower:

We're in permit process now for our new pool and I'm currently taking down two large maples. One is ~20 feet behind pool and one is about 20 feet to left. However, they are large ~30 year old trees and will only get bigger. I have a wooded lot and it's unbelievable how many leaves I have to clean up every year. I imagine it would be a headache to keep these trees, being so close to the pool, so unfortunately, the trees are going!

Well, I am going to see what happens and stick with the tree for now. It is the only one within 55'. I had a wooded lot growing up and our pool was constantly filled with leaves. That was not fun, but I got used to it so one tree might be worth it. This is a beautiful maple tree in the fall so I want to keep it. It will also be nice for our neighbors to see.

So excavation started last Friday. We hit rock, and I did not expect that as that didn't come up during a trial dig for infiltration testing. Since I didn't expect it, it was not included so now it is $2750 a day. Here's to hoping they knock it out today. Several days of this will destroy the budget.

Also, I am starting to shy away from doing the slide. I am worried it will only get used a few years and then just sit idle. Since it does stick out, it may be best to leave it out as a special treat and reason to visit a water park :confused:

Here is a picture of the excavator. More coming shortly when I can get to my other computer.

Attachments

• 20170714_070426.jpg
    20170714_070426.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 591
Ugh, sorry to hear about the rock. That's been on the forefront of my mind as I've been discussing with the builders. Hope they can knock it out in a day!

As for the slide - I was originally planning for one as well but will likely omit unless we can find a design integrated with a rock/waterfall that isn't cost prohibitive. I'm sure the kids would love one though but it comes down to priorities for us.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.