Finally Finished! - New Build in Tampa, FL

Who did the cleaning and bagging of the trash? Guessing NOT the pool people LOL
I have so much trash that I am just waiting for the PB to haul away. The trash you see on the sun shelf as well as the pile in the back by the fence was moved actually moved there by the decking people since there is so much that it was blocking their access to the yard. Some contractors do bag up their trash while some just leave stuff scattered around the yard.
Love the pool design, and love your deck!

I like your deck also.
Thank you!

So I’m starting to get quotes to figure the cost of getting my NG heater connected to my gas meter. The price difference between two quotes is about $700 since one contractor wants to dig a trench to lay the pipe underground, while the other is talking about running the pipes up against the wall and though the attic to get to the pool equipment pad.

Is one option safer than the other or is it just a matter of preference? When I asked the same question to the guy who suggested running the pipes against the wall he said it cost less since he won’t have to dig a trench, and safer since in the future someone could start digging without knowing any better.

Thoughts or opinions anyone?

So I’m starting to get quotes to figure the cost of getting my NG heater connected to my gas meter. The price difference between two quotes is about $700 since one contractor wants to dig a trench to lay the pipe underground, while the other is talking about running the pipes up against the wall and though the attic to get to the pool equipment pad.

Is one option safer than the other or is it just a matter of preference? When I asked the same question to the guy who suggested running the pipes against the wall he said it cost less since he won’t have to dig a trench, and safer since in the future someone could start digging without knowing any better.

Thoughts or opinions anyone?
It may just come down to aesthetics. IMO, running the line up the wall through the attic would be safer since there is no possibility of it getting accidental dug up.

Reactions: Taimon
Our gas line is underground and there is a wire on the pipe so it is very easy to find the line when you need to dig, assuming you call to get your utilities marked.
I suppose its more aesthetically pleasing when the pipes are underground and out of sight.
It may just come down to aesthetics. IMO, running the line up the wall through the attic would be safer since there is no possibility of it getting accidental dug up.
If it comes down to aesthetics rather than safety I’m likely to just go with the lower cost option. However I noticed the quote for running the piping through the attic also mentions that “gas piping bonded by others and not included in the proposal” so I suspect I’ll have to incur additional cost that is already included in the other quote. So maybe not as large of a difference as I first thought.

From a safety perspective, the underground is safer for you long term. I would never have a gas pipe run through my attic. If a leak develops, by the time you know it will be too late. I live in The Villages and many of the initial homes were built this way. After a few explosions where the home went up in flames they stopped doing it. Gas is now run through the foundation or on the outside of the home where a gas leak can't build up.

Any pipe in an attic is a railing while doing the joist waltz.

The buried pipe gets a foot of dirt and then cation tape before the last 6 inches are filled. Nobody is just going to stab 18 inches with a shovel so they will find the caution tape first. But they might hit it with a post or stake, so keep that in mind going forward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From a safety perspective, the underground is safer for you long term. I would never have a gas pipe run through my attic. If a leak develops, by the time you know it will be too late. I live in The Villages and many of the initial homes were built this way. After a few explosions where the home went up in flames they stopped doing it. Gas is now run through the foundation or on the outside of the home where a gas leak can't build up.
There is also the concern of lightning strikes to a house. If a gas line in the attic is properly grounded, that shouldn't be a concern. Now leaks are a different concern.

I'm in Tampa and went with the attic route (via CSST).

Trenching it would go right through our electric service main, fiber optics, and underneath (or around) our AC condenser concrete pad which would have been a pain. As far as safety goes, my thought is that if it's run up and then along the inside of the attic wall, there's no chance it ever gets stepped on, and if it's CSST there are no fittings to leak from the start all the way to the end. My water heater, dryer, and range gas lines all run through the attic with multiple steel fittings between them - so I figure those are already far more likely to leak than CSST straight along a wall.

I really just don't think the "safety" factor is even on the scale verses the other things we all do like drive, fly, or risk getting attacked by a shark at the beach (which is why I stay on land - they have a harder time getting to you there). Then again, maybe I'm not the best source of advice because I swim during thunderstorms too - I pretty much trust the faraday cage around me and really enjoy the rain and thunder...

As far as aesthetics go, I already have pipes for electric, cat6, and solar right next to it, so what's one more pipe painted to match on the side yard where nobody goes anyway?

Reactions: Taimon and Newdude
I really just don't think the "safety" factor is even on the scale verses the other things we all do like drive,
17 lightning deaths in 2020 compared to 42k vehicle deaths. Injuries were similarly proportioned. So, yeah. It's a valid point that it kinda doesn't matter.
or risk getting attacked by a shark at the beach
Shark deaths average one every 2 years in the US. Cows average 22 deaths per year. So. Yeah. Again. :ROFLMAO:

On week 19 now and the pool cage is finally up. Hoping for plaster within the next couple weeks. My experience so far has been about 3-4 weeks of inactivity between each major progress update so it’s probably not going to be completed within the originally estimated 20 week build time.

But still, overall not a bad experience at all. There were a few minor issues like the wrong Aqualink transceiver being installed but that was sorted out and being corrected.

PB is saying plaster will be around end of next week but in reality I’m betting they’ll probably get to it towards the end of May.

Attachments

• C1FC02B7-EBA3-4498-A9E1-B210CC01BE24.jpeg
    C1FC02B7-EBA3-4498-A9E1-B210CC01BE24.jpeg
    551.3 KB · Views: 49
Just some final pictures. Definitely loving the Blue Granite interior!

Attachments

• 54F6BE60-F197-4839-8490-374150C38691.jpeg
    54F6BE60-F197-4839-8490-374150C38691.jpeg
    745.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 507E004F-4A31-4396-B324-C62E314DD0FD.jpeg
    507E004F-4A31-4396-B324-C62E314DD0FD.jpeg
    695 KB · Views: 52
  • FBAED54F-99FF-47AF-AB44-3B24F924D277.jpeg
    FBAED54F-99FF-47AF-AB44-3B24F924D277.jpeg
    795.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DF15E29D-FB11-44B2-9739-373B6BFAAF9C.jpeg
    DF15E29D-FB11-44B2-9739-373B6BFAAF9C.jpeg
    798.4 KB · Views: 53

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.