Filtering Through Main Drain Only

TPain311

Jun 23, 2021
Boston, MA
Hello,

I researched this topic and found a couple similar threads, but nothing fully hit the mark. I'm wondering if it's OK to filter exclusively through the main drain. Here's why.

I use a solar-powered pool robot to skim the surface of the pool. It's always running. It does a great job, to the point where my skimmer basket rarely has any debris in it. However, the deep end of my pool floor consistently collects dirt and small debris.

My thought was to run the main drain exclusively. This way, I'd be able to vacuum less and have better "deep water" circulation when I add chemicals. The "skimming" of surface debris that pool owners often rely on the skimmer for is being taken care of by the robot.

My concerns are: the main drain is not 3 feet wide like modern drains (pool was built in 1987). Would it create too much of a suction force - to the point of it being dangerous if people swim with the filter on? Are there any other disadvantages to an exclusive main drain filter, and disabling the skimmer entirely? Most comments I've seen people lean heavily (80%) to skimmer, 20% to main drain. Or they break it up 50/50. Any thoughts?

Tim

Tim,

When the main drain is operating, I doubt you can even feel any suction at the cover.. The only danger is if you covered the whole drain with your body...

If you only want to use the main drain just do it.. It will however make zero differences in how much "dirt" collects on the pool floor.

Swim down there and put your had over the main drain and see if you can even tell if it is work... I doubt it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.