Filter sucking air in from waste.

Anthony.C

May 17, 2024
England
I have just discovered my filter sucks air in from the waste pipe when the pump goes off and there are loads of bubbles from the return jet at start up. I suspect it has been happening for a while and the air has been leaking out of the pressure side pipe from the filter but I have greased and tightened that at the union so the air now has nowhere to go and today it stopped the pump from priming. I also noticed a few weeks ago that water was coming from waste when on recirculate so I opened the multiport but it doesn't seem to have a replaceable spider gasket. Also, if I lift the multiport handle when the filter is off all the air goes into the pump bucket. My filter is a Pentair Azur and it is hard plumbed.

I'm fairly sure it's coming from the waste pipe but here are some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.JPEG
    IMG_1399.JPEG
    502.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1400.JPEG
    IMG_1400.JPEG
    473.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1401.JPEG
    IMG_1401.JPEG
    485.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1402.JPEG
    IMG_1402.JPEG
    457.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1403.JPEG
    IMG_1403.JPEG
    508 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1404.JPEG
    IMG_1404.JPEG
    429.6 KB · Views: 6
Okay, so if I were in your position I would slowly and systematically check each and every connection in that room. To address your specific concern about it being the waste line pulling-in air would indicate a problem at the MPV. So if air can seep "IN" from the waste direction, you might check to see if there is water seeping out the waste line when the MPV is in the filter position. It's a clean set-up you have there, but there are several places where are can sneak IN and cause those same problems at start up. Plus, even if air was getting in on the pressure side (after the pump), sure, it would cause bubbles at first until they were all blown out, but it shouldn't effect pump prime. That would be more on the suction side, something like the pump lid O-ring (lube), drain plug, or line/connections in front of the pump. You could literally have more than one air leak as well. So I would just go one step at a time in there to check all those fitting. Also check the filter gauge as sometimes they go bad too.

I will check the air at the waste with the filter on but suction side has already been sorted and no air seems to get in that side now. It was the first time this morning that the pump didn't come so I turned it off and lifted the filter handle which let all the air from the filter into the pump basket, then it started ok.

Could a bad filter gauge cause a problem because the gauge is stuck on 16 psi when pump is off?

Could a bad filter gauge cause a problem because the gauge is stuck on 16 psi when pump is off?
If the needle doesn't drop when the pump is off, the gauge needs to be replaced for sure. Now whether or not it is allowing air to seep in is another story. Something they do leak at the threads, or sometimes the body of the gauge goes bad, but it sounds like yours needs to be replaced anyway.

it's still spewing out air at start-up and the waste pipe exit makes burping noises.
Might be time to open the multiport valve and inspect the spider gasket in there. There should also be a spring on the handle stem inside designed to apply strong pressure to the handle to keep it tightly in position.

I did have it open recently but it doesn't seem to have a spider gasket, I think it's integrated.

Also, do you know what type and size of screwdriver I need to fit the screws on the top, it's too big for a regular philips screwdriver? I used a spanner for the nuts last time but it was hard work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, do you know what type and size of screwdriver I need to fit the screws on the top,
Humm, looks like your typical Phillips head. Perhaps a larger bit size to get a good snug fit, but I'm not aware of a specific size number to reference.

I did have it open recently but it doesn't seem to have a spider gasket, I think it's integrated.

Also, do you know what type and size of screwdriver I need to fit the screws on the top, it's too big for a regular philips screwdriver? I used a spanner for the nuts last time but it was hard work.
That is most likely a Pentair TA60D filter/valve combination made for the European market. There is most definitely a spider gasket in the valve.
The screws require a #3 Philips screwdriver for easiest removal/replacement along with a spanner of appropriate size.

Reactions: Texas Splash
If it's sucking at the waste connection, it almost certainly has to be a sealing issue in the multiport valve I would think. I'd say for sure gasket is the first step, then see what happens.

If it's sucking at the waste connection, it almost certainly has to be a sealing issue in the multiport valve I would think. I'd say for sure gasket is the first step, then see what happens.
Regardless of the position of the MPV, when the pump is running it is under pressure. It would be the strangest of situations if the gasket were leaking just enough to create a "venturi" effect and pull a vacuum in any part of the system after the pump. But won't hurt to try. It is, after all, one of the strangest things known to man, a swimming pool and its system. That is not a joke.