Filter strainer issue

Cainel

Bronze Supporter
Oct 8, 2018
Plano, TX
just noticed this afternoon that my pool wasn’t circulating. When I went to the equipment I saw that the pump was on, but water wasn’t Moving through the filter strainer. I also noticed that the heater has a “clean filter strainer” message on it. I opened up the strainer and a couple problems: 1) The water in the strainer is super cloudy, opaque really. Like there is a lot of DE or something in it. And 2) the water in there was almost boiling hot. I couldn’t put my hand in it.
The pool is clear and was working earlier today and everyday before. Also, the heater is not on, although we had it on over the weekend. There is an REM error message on the heater also.

Anyone got an idea what’s going on?

What are you calling the filter strainer? The basket in the pump?

Did you backwash your filter? What is your clean filter pressure? What was the pressure this afternoon?

Let’s understand what happened. Filter at 0 means there was no water flow from pump outlet to filter. Check your MPV or backwash valve.

Pump was running and water was churning in the basket. Water in the basket was boiling hot from sitting there churning and absorbing the heat from the pump motor.

Where are you now? Are things working?

Conjecture: you have been drawing in air for a while and developed a huge bubble in the filter that compressed under pressure. When the pump shut off, it expanded and forced DE backwards through the pipes. That explains the DE in the pump basket as well as lost prime.

Whatever is the source of the air entering, it's what also kept the pump from priming. It could be as simple as a stuck weir or low water level. It might be a loose pump lid or a bad O-ring on the lid. Worst case, you have a suction side air leak in a cracked pipe or a bad valve.

Pump basket is clean. O-ring on the lid seems to be in good shape. Water is clear and normal temp. Water level in the pool is good. Not sure what a weir is. I did check the backwash valve yesterday and it’s in regular “pool on” position and not loose or anything. I’m at a loss. Definitely weird, but looks like it corrected itself. Thanks ajw22 and Richard320 for the insight. Appreciate the help. Please let me know if you think I should investigate further, or if you have any idea what may have happened.

Weir door is the floating flap door you should have on the mouths of your skimmers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.