Filter sand... Where to buy?

May 11, 2016
MD
I can't find it at my local lowes, or home depot... the best thing I have found is play sand and I am sure that can't be right (I have not bought it for the filter)

Is this something I may have to go to a pool store for?

Or is it some kind of gravely sand? and is at the hardware stores? Just not looking for the right thing?

I am in Frederick, MD... seems a lot of people on here are around this area.

been raining a lot been back flushing a lot. I like to add DE into it for a day or two after it rains to clear the pool a little more than backflush it when the filter cloggs

Can I ask why you are you looking for more filter sand if your Sand filter is installed and functioning? You rarely ever need to replace sand. It is already millions of years old and does not wear out. The only thing that can happen to it is adding pool store potions that gum it up or after a Baquacil conversion.

Most sand filters take #20 silica sand. I have always seen it at my Home Depot. Though it does not say 'pool' sand. It still is the right sand.

Take care.

Thanks. And back flushing can take a cup or so out at a time... at least is what I read and the last time i had it opened it wasn't as full as it should have been... so don't need much. just want to top it off. I know it never runs out of usefulness. Will go look again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.