Filter questions

SerenityIV

Aug 2, 2019
Orlando, FL
Hello! I took the leap and am taking on my first pool by myself at my new residence. I have vigorously read through many of the pool school articles, which have been an insane amount of help! Super glad this site exists.

With that being said, I had a couple of questions regarding my filter system to get started. I seem to have many concepts down, but I'd like to begin with some filter questions. I have a Sta-rite System 2 filter module, which includes the use of a DE filter. After reading through the manual of the filter, it seems this system does not have a backwash feature. It also indicates that the time to clean the filter is when the PSI is raised by 10 from the initial setting after a cleaning.

My question is, if this system doesn't have a backwash feature, what do I do after a weekly brush and vacuum? It would seem really expensive and contradictory to the filter's directions to have to take the filter out after each brush/vacuum and then add DE. Do I just do as the directions say and wait for that PSI number to raise? Just a little confused. The filter is advertising itself as a lower maintenance option by not needing to backwash, but if you're having to replace DE every week after each clean, I'm just a tad lost.

I have about a 12k gallon in-ground pool in Orlando, FL, screened in. I can provide further info if needed. I can't quite figure out my pump specs at this time as a majority of the labeling I'd gone when I took the house over.

Thanks for any help and advice! Greatly appreciate it and glad to be a part of this group of experts.

Welcome to the forum!
Your filter is a hybrid DE filter. It uses a cartridge media that is coated in DE. So no, you do not backwash it.
We would recommend that you clean the filter when your pressure rises by 25% over the clean filter pressure. It should take much longer than a week for this to occur. If you find you are having to clean the filter too often, check the flow back into the pool when your pressure hits the 25% limit, if your flow is still good, then you can most likely wait until your pressure rises more before cleaning.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thank you very much! I greatly appreciate your help. And yup, I've been reading that stuff for hours, haha. Just to clarify, I don't need to do anything even after weekly brush and vacuum? Just wait for that PSI to raise 25%?

Correct. With a screened in pool area you should get very little debris in your pool.

Thanks, Oly! Yeah, I've got a good grasp of how it works, but now I'm just trying to do some math. Seems they have to be cleaned about once a month, so I'm assuming I'd have to add the complete amount of DE each month, which is about 4lbs for my filter. Also, my current filter does not need to be back washed as explained above.

The reason I ask is because others have mentioned on other posts that their DE purchase lasts a lifetime, and I don't see how that's possible considering it needs to be recleaned monthly in my case. 4 lbs a month is 48 lbs a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.