Filter Question

glitter_girl

Jun 4, 2010
Chicago, IL
When and how long should our filter run? All day? At night?

We have 2 speeds as well, is there a certain speed we should keep it at?

Thanks in advance! :)

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Since you have a 2-speed, I recommend you run it constantly on low speed except for vacuuming or anything that requires high. It'll save you a good bit on your electric usage by doing that.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
With single speed pumps most people run them 8 to 10 hours a day. Even running a 2-speed pump on low 24 hours a day costs less than running it on high 8 to 10 hours a day. Plus running it 24 hours day provides more cleaning and prevents low spots of FC.

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
This is really something where there is a lot of mixed thought, my personal preference is run 24x7, which should not cost too much with a 2 speed pump on low. Basically the more you run your filter the better your water will be filtered, the question is where is overkill, and in your case I suspect you have an oversized pump already, so running on high any time your not trying to clear a swamp is probably overkill. You might even get by with running it on low 12 hours per day, I think most people would say run in the day when your having chlorine loss from the sun, but since I don't deal with that having an indoor pool I am not sure.

Ike

Rangeball

May 25, 2007
I run my 2 speed on low 24/7 and I calculate I get a bit over 2 turnovers a day. So far, the water is great.

Other Threads of Interest