Filter problems and I'm ready to give up!

jschneid

May 28, 2019
I am new here and can not get my pump to hold prime. It starts out fine and then slowly fades away to nothing. This has been a chronic problem over the years and I really want to just give up. My frustration level is at 100+!
I have an ABG 13,000 Gal and a Hayward Power Flex DE filter.
I have replaced everything from the skimmer to the return. The motor was replaced at the end of last summer and the filter is brand spanking new. The pressure gauge has been running at 16 psi and goes up to 18 psi as the water pressure goes down. I have not seen it go over 20 psi. I will say that I have not put in the full amount of DE because I feel that would hinder the water flow, but maybe I'm wrong.
There is not one drop of water from the skimmer to the motor. (I'm pretty proud of that!) The connector (the black dohickey) between the motor and the filter was just replaced a couple of days ago. There are little drips on both sides of the connector that I can not get to stop. I'm afraid to tighten it too much. It did come with plumbers tape on it. Should I have replaced that? Are my hoses too long?
It seems like such a simple set up compared to some of the photos I've seen on this site and I don't understand why I can't figure this out.
When I opened the pool it was algae green and now it is cloudy aqua so something is going through the filter but I can't go and prime the pump every hour. No one at the pool store gives a Crud no matter how much I spend there.
Help!
Thanks, Jeannette

poolfilter.jpgpoolfilter2.jpg

Hi, welcome to TFP I have good news and bad news. The kicker is that it’s the same news! You have algae and the filter is doing it’s job collecting it. Problem is it is a small filter and will clog quickly as you have experienced. Under charging the filter is not good, as the D.E. bed is there to trap the debris and keep it from being embedded in the filter fingers. To correct your filter problem you need to correct the water chemistry first so you can eliminate the algae.

Personally I would get a large sand filter and a good FAS/DPD test kit, then SLAM Process the pool to eliminate the algae.

I’m not familiar with AGP plumbing design and what is considered “normal” but it seems to me that simple band clamps on flexible tubing is a recipe for a suction side air leak. There’s no amount of tightening that’s going to make a good seal on that hodgepodge of connectors. Considering how short the distances are between the skimmer, pump, filter and return port, it wouldn’t be much of a task to have that all hard-plumbed with rigid, schedule 40 pvc pipe. PVC unions could be added at strategic spots to make disassembly for winter storage a snap. This is just my personal opinion (from my experience with all kinds of plumbing) but that mess of flexible tubing is a leak waiting to happen.

But yes, as @zea3 has said, you definitely need to get that algae problem cleared up.

Clear the pool. You need to back wash the filter every time you see the pressure go up.

You need to wrap the tape around both ends of the connectors before putting the black flex hose on and tightening the clamps. Go around the fitting a couple of times to get a good seal.

I know you said that you've had this problem over the years, but the first thing to do is figure out where the air in getting into the system. A very common place that gets overlooked is the pump drain plug. Another place is the seal between the pump strainer basket and the casing. The easiest thing to do is take a water hose and run a steady stream (not spray) of water over all the connections between the skimmer and pump suction. watch the bubbles and if they go away or lessen you've narrowed down the place.

Some people have had luck using shaving lather placing it over and around the connections. If you see a dimple getting sucked in the lather that's a potential leak spot.

Reactions: JoeSelf
I know you said that you've had this problem over the years, but the first thing to do is figure out where the air in getting into the system. A very common place that gets overlooked is the pump drain plug. Another place is the seal between the pump strainer basket and the casing. The easiest thing to do is take a water hose and run a steady stream (not spray) of water over all the connections between the skimmer and pump suction. watch the bubbles and if they go away or lessen you've narrowed down the place.

Some people have had luck using shaving lather placing it over and around the connections. If you see a dimple getting sucked in the lather that's a potential leak spot.
Should the pump be running when the water hose is used?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Yes it should be running. What you're looking for are the bubbles to lessen or stop while the water is running over the plumbing. When that happens it means that the leak is in the section where the water is running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.