Filter Pressure Not Increasing

Mickey Moose

Jul 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
For the life of my pool I have religiously cleaned the filters every three months. Early on I noticed that pressure would increase over time - regardless of what the pressure starting point was and what the pressure was at the three month mark I'd clean the filters. During the better part of the last year though I've noticed the pressure no longer increases. It's always 15. Always 15 before cleaning. Always 15 after cleaning. Is this normal or cause for concern?

I have the original filters. At some point my pressure gauge broke so it has been replaced... I'll have to see if I can find when - maybe that coincides with my pressure observation. Also, the instructions on the lid of the tank state to tighten the nut until the spring coils touch. I tighten the heck out of it but they don't ever touch... maybe the tank can't build pressure because I'm not tightening the nut enough?? Thanks for your feedback.

MM,

I have the same pump and filter as you, and I only clean my cartridges twice a year. I believe that I could get away with only once a year, but my OCD will not let me.... :p

I usually clean them once in the spring and once in the fall.. Both times when it is not too cold to get wet..

I generally run at 1,200 RPM, 90% of the time... At that speed my filter pressure is only 2 or 3 lbs.

The fact that your band clamp is not quite tight enough will not effect your pressure unless you are spewing water everywhere. But it does need to be tight.

It should look like this....

dbtgallery.php

I use a rubber mallet to tap the band while I tighten the nut...

To get a pressure of 15 PSI, you must be running your pump at almost full speed??? Do you run this speed as a filter pressure test, or do you always run that fast?

Thanks,

Jim R.

15 lbs is at 2400 RPM. At 3450, max speed, it's at 28 lbs. Thanks for the picture of your clamp - I have attached a picture mine. The coils of your spring are touching and you have about twice the thread sticking out of the end as I do.

filterclamp.jpg

I know every pool is different but I reprogrammed my pump to run at 1200, like yours, and get 4 - 5 lbs... only enough to *barely* drip water through my spillway.

-Mickey

Last edited:
I found a thread that listed some hydraulics troubleshooting info suggesting possible reasons for low pressure...

1. Pump lid not sealing properly
2. Suction valves may be set improperly or partially off
3. Blockage in the suction side piping or valves
4. Clogged impeller
5. Undersized suction side pipe

Responses...
1. I don't believe that to be the case, I've always put the lid on the same way. Maybe the gasket is failing but the pump doesn't sound like there's a problem.
2. Not sure what a suction valve is but I haven't ever messed with anything
3. Could be - I'd need a professional
4. Could be - I might be able to check this myself
5. My plumbing has not changed

Additionally, there's no water leaking anywhere around the equipment, specifically the pumps and filter.

<scratching head>

- - - Updated - - -

Those springs should be touching each other. The rubber mallet to tap around the band as you are tightening is a good idea too.
I'll tighten it up and be sure to tighten it properly when I next clean the filters.

Thanks for your feedback.

MM,

Sorry, I don't think I did a very good job of getting my point across... I do not believe that you have anything wrong with your filter. I don't think your filter can get dirty enough in 3 months to cause your pressure to go up very much..

I don't have a spa or heater, so it makes sense that you'd need higher speed... to push the water though all the extra stuff...

I think that you are just making a problem where no problem exists... :p

Other than the pressure reading on the gauge, is there any problems you are having that you think might be a pressure issue??

Thanks,

Jim R.

MM,

Sorry, I don't think I did a very good job of getting my point across... I do not believe that you have anything wrong with your filter. I don't think your filter can get dirty enough in 3 months to cause your pressure to go up very much..

I don't have a spa or heater, so it makes sense that you'd need higher speed... to push the water though all the extra stuff...

I think that you are just making a problem where no problem exists... :p

Other than the pressure reading on the gauge, is there any problems you are having that you think might be a pressure issue??

Thanks,

Jim R.

No sweat, I understand and I appreciate your thoughts.

Early on, I could see a change in pressure in 3 months though it wasn't significant. Maybe a couple pounds or so if I recall correctly. But now I see *zero* change - ever. No, I don't have any actual problem that I'm trying to address so, I agree, I guess I am creating one. The point of my post was I don't think or know there is a problem but questioning if there is one (I've never had a pool before I built this so I am always learning). A Donald Rumsfeld quote seems appropriate at this time...

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

You stated you typically clean once in Spring and once in Fall. When you do has your pressure changed from the couple-few pounds that is your norm?

Cheers.

PS I just noticed we're "neighbors". Howdy.

mm,

Because I don't have a spa or heater, I can run pretty slow, so I really don't see much of an increase. When I clean the cartridges, they are somewhat dirty, but it appears to me they could be twice as dirty and the filter would still work fine.

I clean them in the spring and fall, but when the temperature is high enough that I can still get wet. Once reason I have not tried to go a whole year is the fear that if I had to clean them in the middle of the winter, I'd freeze to death. Not sure about you, but I get soaked doing it.. :p

Thanks for posting "neighbor..."

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.