Filter Pressure Gauge Reading Zero

AlexR

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Redwood City, CA
Alex,

I think that the air relief and gauge are on different ports...

Just take the gauge off and see of water squirts out the hole... If it does, then I suspect that when you put the gauge back on it will work..

If water does not squirt out of the hole, then either the line is plugged up or your pump is off... :mrgreen:

This of course assumes everything is working and you have plenty of water going back to your pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The air relief is integrated into this gauge, so there's only the one hole. Water squirts out as expected when opening the valve on the back of the gauge. Water is flowing out my returns just fine. I tried upping the RPMs on my variable speed pump just to see what happened and the needle still doesn't move. I'm scratching my head on this. Perhaps then sent me a dud replacement, but I suspect it's something else going on.

Alex

Are you getting good flow to the pool?
Have you removed any eyeballs or changed the position of any valves from their normal position?
Is the skimmer and pump baskets clean?
Have you checked the pump impeller for debris?

The skimmer and pump baskets are clean and I'm getting good flow to the pool from all three returns. I have a FlowVis flow meter plumbed in right after the filter and when I cranked the pump up to 2300rpm, it was reading 70 GPM and the pressure gauge doesn't budge.

Pull the gauge/bleed assembly off and look in the tank adapter (the bottom piece of the assembly) it should be clear.
Then as Casey said. turn on the pump, but be warned, stand way back and be ready to shut it off quickly.

I dont want to hijack, but my Jandy reads zero, too. I know absolutely zilch about my equipment, but I figured that had to be wrong also. I turned the pump off for a bit, then turned it back on. When it was priming up, it got up to about 10 psi, and once it was done priming, it went back down to zero. Everything seems to be working fine, so I decided it must be smarter than me and it knows what its doing. I know that doesnt help, just wanted to note that I see mine doing the same thing.

Edited to add: Im running my pump at 1600, so maybe its too low to show on the gauge, as Jim said.

Last edited:
If the gauge moves then it works. Gauges that read under 30 psi should have a air bleed in them to adjust for atmospheric pressure, but since pool gauges are cheapies they don't have it, so you can be reading 1-2 psi off.

In the op's case, even those there is a filter bleed right there it still can be plugged, you have to remove the gauge and look.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Edited to add: Im running my pump at 1600, so maybe its too low to show on the gauge, as Jim said.

99 out of 100 times you just cant read the 2 psi. The needle is almost as wide as the hashmarks, but at 10 psi its definitely not at rest at zero. Baseline a psi at full throttle to know when its 25% over and needs cleaning. Even 10 psi can be tricky. Is it 11.1 or 11.9 and real close. The diffence between 30 and 37.5 is much easier to spot.

99 out of 100 times you just cant read the 2 psi. The needle is almost as wide as the hashmarks, but at 10 psi its definitely not at rest at zero. Baseline a psi at full throttle to know when its 25% over and needs cleaning. Even 10 psi can be tricky. Is it 11.1 or 11.9 and real close. The diffence between 30 and 37.5 is much easier to spot.

This sounds like an important calculation for me to add to my list. What exactly does that mean? Do you mean run my pump all the way up to see what psi it is at? And then if I get that psi number, anything running over 25% of that (when all the way up) means the filter needs cleaning?

Exactly. Higher (highest) RPM will make more PSI and be easier to spot the 25%. Even if max psi is 20, 25 is easy to see. 10 and 12.5 is harder.

Personally, I would get rid of the entire cheap combination air relief/gauge and go with a homemade air relief with a zero to 30 PSI gauge..

Jim R.

and aren’t most of them 60 psi making it harder to spot the needle moving less ?

C,

The idea of cleaning your filter at a 25% increase in filter pressure is just a guideline.. It is not a hard fixed number because it covers all kinds of pools, filters and plumbing.

I never get close to 25%, so I just clean my filter twice a year. Once in the Spring and once in the Fall.

I would not fret over it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: carnivalday
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.