Filter pressure climbing after sand replacement

Mike919

Jun 2, 2022
Raleigh
Hello, I replaced the sand in my filter this week, but I am having a problem now with climbing pressure from 10 PSI to 22 PSI in the span of a couple of hours, and eventually the flow of water stops. I used the correct amount of sand as indicated on the chart on my filter. Outside of this I am quite puzzled, I have checked all my fittings and everything is nice and snug, and not leaking. Is there anything else I should be checking?

Mike,

You don't have a mechanical problem, you have an algae problem. Your filter is working fine.

What you describe is the classic symptoms of what happens to the water flow, when the filter captures algae, even when you can't see it yet.

You should take a good read through our pool school and see what we are all about. Pool School

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mike919
Mike,

You don't have a mechanical problem, you have an algae problem. Your filter is working fine.

What you describe is the classic symptoms of what happens to the water flow, when the filter captures algae, even when you can't see it yet.

You should take a good read through our pool school and see what we are all about. Pool School

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you I will look at that. So I could have an algae build up with new sand? Maybe what I am describing isn't helping it never has run more than 2 hours without the pressure build-up since I replaced the sand.

Last edited:
Thank you I will look at that. So I could have an algae build up with new sand? Maybe what I am describing isn't helping it never has run more than 2 hours without the pressure build-up
You have algae in the pool that has not yet gotten to the level of being visible. The filter is doing what it is designed to do, it's filtering the algae out and getting plugged up. You need to kill the algae. To kill it you need to complete what we call a SLAM

To complete the SLAM and know what is going on with your pool we need accurate test results we can trust, and those don't come from a pool store. We base our pool care system on your personal accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 test kit.

Now, please don't run down to the pool store to get your water tested. We find that many times pool store employees primary goal is to sell stuff, not necessarily get your pool in perfect condition. As to whether that is because of improper training, lack of knowledge or just to sell stuff I will leave up to you. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their advice and testing.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

While entirely optional, I also have the TFTestkits.net and TFTestkits.net . They speed testing and accuracy. The Speed Stir comes as part of the Pro kit.

I have my suspicion that you have never eliminated the algae from your pool, but only and Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!

My Wife insisted that her Father did it every year so we had to

Mike,

I understand completely... :mrgreen:

That said, we believe that sand lasts forever, and that there is "almost" never a reason to replace it.

We also believe in science and don't believe in most of what Pool $tores have to say. We believe in only adding things to our pool water that the water actually needs, and not any of the hundreds of "magic" potions that pool stores sell.

We are a pretty cool place to learn all about how to maintain your own pool. :shark:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.